Diaz has been lobbying for a third fight with McGregor since losing to him in August 2016 in the rematch of their March 2016 fight.
Now it's just up to the UFC to make the fight.
Ferguson smartly banked on the belief that the Lee would begin to fatigue as the fight wore on, after needing to drop significant weight for Friday's weigh-in. While, Ferguson has done exactly the same at lightweight, securing his tenth consecutive win in the division - after defeating Lee.
While most UFC fans hope the Irishman squares off against Nate Diaz again to finish the holy grail of trilogies, that may have to wait.
It was more of the same in round five, and then in typical Johnson style, he pulled off something spectacular, as he picked Borg up and threw him down, and in the process grabbed the challenger's arm.
Ferguson has taken the long road to get to this point.
Conor McGregor took an extended break from UFC following the birth his son and his loss to Floyd Mayweather. After the effort of the takedown, Lee was unable to utilise his better position and Ferguson kicked out. After the fight, Ferguson challenged McGregor to come back to the UFC to defend his belt and fight him.
It's an interesting time in UFC history, as we all struggle to decide how to balance spectacle and sport. That's something that no other fighter has ever done.
A martial arts obsessed kid, who thinks everybody needs to know about it.
After the fight, Johnson paid tribute to the medical staff who attended the tragic events in Las Vegas the previous weekend, before revealing he'd drilled his spectacular finishing sequence repeatedly in training camp: "I hit that suplex to armbar so many times in the gym". Now living in Melbourne, getting things done.
- Track Hurricane Nate with webcams along the Gulf Coast
- Mullin: GOP Tax Plan Gives Middle Class "Significant" Tax Cut
- Insider Increases Stake In JetBlue Airways Corporation (JBLU)
- Here's the Ireland XI that should play against Wales
- Chargers have hope after win, injured Giants have none
- Mistakes matter: Joe Girardi's mental error helps Cleveland pull off epic comeback
- McDonald's 'Rick and Morty' Szechuan Sauce Hype Is Turning Sour
- Martin Truex wins Bank of America 500
- Harvey Weinstein Officially Fired in Light of New Allegations
- President Trump Reveals What He Told Mike Pence Before Today's NFL Game