The smoke was so thick and high that it could be seen over Disneyland.
The Canyon Fire 2 broke out about 9:54 a.m.in the area of Coal Canyon on the 91 Freeway, near the same location where another fire started two weeks earlier.
The number of structures destroyed by the fire remained steady at 24 structures, and there was no breakdown available yet of how many of those structures were homes or outbuildings. The Canyon Fire 2 comes not long after another brush fire burned about 2,600 acres at the Anaheim-Corona border in late September.
Horses can be evacuated to west end of Yorba Regional Park. October is traditionally the worst time to fight fires in California, Pimlott said this the morning. About 5,000 homes are threatened in Anaheim, Tustin and Orange.
With between 3,000 and 4,000 residents potentially impacted, mandatory evacuations have been ordered in several areas around the fire (detailed in the map below).
At least 500 firefighters are reportedly battling the flames and are going from house to house evacuating people, officials said.
The Anaheim Hills fire was first reported just before 10 a.m. on Monday near the 241 Interchange, near the eastbound 91 Freeway.
The Santa Anas are strong down-slope winds which blow through California's mountain passes towards the coastline; they are warm, dry winds known for severely exacerbating forest fires.
"We have fire engines up and down the street putting out hotspots", he said. Emergency lines were inundated with callers reporting smoke in the area.
More than 200 firefighters were battling the fire by Monday afternoon along with six helicopters and six fixed-wing planes.
- Everything We Know-And Don't-About The Kardashian-Jenner Pregnancies
- Jorge Sampaoli Calls for Argentina to Match 'Incredible' Lionel Messi
- Las Vegas shooter left calculations on bullet trajectories
- Which ten clubs have the most yellow cards in Premier League history?
- James McClean Ruins Wales And Keeps Irish World Cup Hopes Alive
- Watch Online MLB Playoffs 2017 NLDS Game 3
- Keenum leads 3 scoring drives as Vikings beat Bears 20-17
- A 'bump' in the NRA's smooth road?
- Trump says 'only one thing will work' against North Korea
- Allegation against Jay Shah Congress' attempt to divert attention: BJP