SportsCenter anchor Michael Smith will not be on television for Monday's 6 p.m. ET episode of SportsCenter. Smith will be back for Tuesday's broadcast.
Hill previously found herself at odds with the network after she labeled President Donald Trump a "white supremacist" on the social media platform. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called the remarks "a fireable offense" days later during a press briefing. But Hill's controversial comments on Twitter over the past month have put their show in the spotlight for the wrong reasons. She apologized for it and said she was "letting her colleagues and the company down".
Pence tweeted a statement in which he said he would not dignify any event that disrespects soldiers, the flag or the anthem. But Hill's tweets caught fire on social media, partly due to the ongoing arguments over ESPN's political posture. "It's even hard for me to understand what they're feeling about this, what it feels like to experience racism", Iger said at Vanity Fair's New Establishment summit last week.
The statement continued, "Jemele's comments to encourage consumers to let advertisers know how they feel, reflect the feelings of many of us". This earned a rebuke from President Trump, and weeks later, Vice President Mike Pence walked out of an Indiana Colts game when several players kneeled during the national anthem.
But now Hill has been suspended, seemingly for other tweets. And then, she suggested fans could boycott companies which advertise with the Dallas Cowboys as a way to change such a policy. She encouraged football fans to boycott the league and its advertisers in the tweet string below.
ESPN's big enough to deal with that, right?
ESPN president John Skipper had sent a memo to network's staff then, saying "In light of recent events, we need to remind ourselves that we are a journalistic organization and that we should not do anything that undermines that position", Variety.com reported.
- WWE Hell In A Cell 2017 Results: Did Shane McMahon Win?
- Pruitt: Plan to kill rule coming tomorrow
- Google Uncovers YouTube, Gmail Ads Placed By Russian Agents
- Did YOU know about Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment allegations? (Reader Poll)
- India Aiming to Seal T20I Series Against Australia
- Giants Odell Beckham Jr. Fractures Ankle In Game Against The Chargers
- Las Vegas shooter left calculations on bullet trajectories
- Everything We Know-And Don't-About The Kardashian-Jenner Pregnancies
- Stat Shows That Jurgen Klopp's High-Scoring Liverpool Continue to Be Top-Heavy
- Indians To Start Trevor Bauer In Game 4 On Short Rest