Some of those discussions happened at the Cardiff City Stadium, another back at the team hotel later in the evening.
The result means Martin O'Neill's men will join Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland when the draw for the play-offs is made next Tuesday.
Plenty of Irish supporters were quick to remind Lineker that Ireland were also missing their most influential player.
"It's as big as anything we've been involved in, but the good thing is we've been here before".
"It was a great dummy for Harry (Arter)".
In a game of poor quality, Jeff Hendrick's tenacity fashioned a goal out of nothing.
"But if you had said to me right at the beginning when the group was drawn that we'd have to go to Wales and win - and we were down as fourth seeds - I would have taken it".
"I will take some time to let the dust settle, we will sit down and have a chat and take it from there".
"We've got a good defensive record throughout the campaign, we're disappointed conceding a goal (against Norway), it would have been nice to have the eight clean sheets". But it may not be enough for a play-off place.
For Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland fans, the road to Russian Federation will now take one last detour before the World Cup. "There's no better feeling".
Aleksandar Prijovic scored in the 73rd minute to seal a berth at the World Cup in Russian Federation.
A win would have secured a play-off spot for Chris Coleman's side, but they were ultimately undone by a 57th minute victor from James McClean. "We gave everything and showed that Italy never gives up". I say that because I've seen the other side.
"I remember the ball coming across and.as it was coming I was just thinking "keep it down" and it hit the back of the net".
"He's just been magnificent", O'Neill said.
Wales started brightly but faded badly after Joe Allen went off on the half hour with concussion following a collision involving McClean and David Meyler.
Unfortunately, an Irish World Cup play-off showdown now looks impossible as both teams will nearly certainly be unseeded in the play-off draw, which takes place next Tuesday.
- Central England Co-op supports World Mental Health Day
- Florida Hospital doctors return from hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico
- Anthony Rizzo had cocky comments after his winning hit
- Which ten clubs have the most yellow cards in Premier League history?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Stifel Nicolaus Maintains Rating And Updates Price Target
- India Aiming to Seal T20I Series Against Australia
- Indians To Start Trevor Bauer In Game 4 On Short Rest
- IPhone X stock to be extremely limited
- Pruitt: Plan to kill rule coming tomorrow
- Everything We Know-And Don't-About The Kardashian-Jenner Pregnancies