In the second half of extra time, the Town man clipped a lovely reverse pass over the Syrian defence to Robbie Kruse.
Syrian soccer fans who live in Lebanon, applaud while watching the Soccer World Cup qualifying match between Syria and Australia, at a coffee shop in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017.
After holding Australia to a 1-1 draw in the first leg, a spirited Syrian football team started the second leg vibrantly but submitted to a relentless Socceroos challenge and lost the game 2-1 in extra time.
Lurking with intent at the far post, as he has done throughout his career, was the 37-year-old Cahill - coming to Australia's rescue once again - who headed the ball back across goal past the helpless Ibrahim Alma.
The second leg of the Asian Confederation play-off game (second leg) between Australia and Syria takes place in Sydney.
With penalties looming, Cahill produced a trademark last-gasp header, which was his 50th goal for Australia - more than any other player for the country.
Al Soma's opener cancelled out Australia's away goal in Melaka, but the Qasioun Eagles faced an onslaught from the hosts as they struggled to keep hold of the ball.
The United States, Panama and Honduras, the three teamns who could provide the opposition, play their final qualifiers later on Tuesday.
It took until extra time for a victor to be found and, again, it was that man Cahill. "I will run to the end for this manager and these players".
The civil war-torn nation had made an unlikely journey to the qualifying round just before the play-off's, and carried hope into the tie after a 1-1 draw in the opening leg.
"I'm proud of everything we have done together and how we can help kids watching to follow their dreams", Cahill said afterwards - a man inspiring those on and off the field.
- Joel Embiid agrees to $148 million extension with 76ers
- Xiaomi Launches Mi Mix 2 For Rs 35999
- Quarterback Cam Newton was wrong to laugh at female sports journalist's question
- Destructive 'Canyon Fire 2' burning in the Anaheim hills east of Disneyland
- International Monetary Fund raises China growth forecast for 2017 to 6.8 pct
- Allegation against Jay Shah Congress' attempt to divert attention: BJP
- Florida Hospital doctors return from hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico
- US' Pence departs football game after players kneel
- ESPN Suspends Jamele Hill After Calling For Boycott of Cowboys
- Is The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) Worth Significant Investment?