What Hue Jackson saw was a winning performance from a group that struggled in Weeks 3 and 4. Five wins in their past 44 contests dating back to the 2014 season.
Jackson said Gonzalez's earlier misses factored into his decision, but he was confident that his defense would get the ball back in good field position. They will need their young players, such as Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye and Darron Lee, to become impact players.
Cleveland surrendered a season-low 212 yards, with only 67 allowed in the first half.
In other words, Hogan is playing more because he's not Kizer, not because he's "better" than Kizer. Bill Belichick was sacked by the Browns and treated like a pariah. "That is why I made the decision to take him out".
"It was just a great call by (defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams) sending me inside and he jump-set me and I was able to put a move on him and make a play".
Jim Shofner went 1-6 after taking over for Bud Carson in 1990. Especially after last week, when Bengals' quarterback Andy Dalton had a quarterback rating over 100 points higher than the struggling Browns rookie - which is nearly impossible in a single National Football League game.
So why make a change?
"We want to win", Jackson said, "but this is where we are: 0-5".
But let's say the Haslams have seen enough and decide to dump yet another coach. "Whoever shows up on Sunday is who I have to handle". It sure looks like that will be the case, to go along with maybe a winless season. "You have studied these guys all season and know what they are going to do".
That doesn't mean that everything has to stay status quo, however. "When you have that many yards, you should have more points".
Head coaches and quarterbacks are frequently joined at the hip. No matter how much Jackson stressed patience, he can't afford to keep losing, especially to the Jets at home. The rub is, those things go hand in hand for Jackson. This is a big deal in Cleveland, where another season already is in tatters. It is the first time in his 15-year career that McCown has won three consecutive starts.
- Harry Kane admits England must improve after lacklustre win over Lithuania
- 'Blade Runner 2049' Dominates But Falls Short of Forecasts
- SC brings back ban on firecrackers in Delhi-NCR
- Firefighters battle raging fires in Napa, Calistoga
- BJP, Cong fight over Jr Shah's windfall
- Fire prevention week in Fort St. John kicks off Saturday
- Trump Demands Money for Border Wall in Exchange for Protecting "Dreamers"
- Nebraska's night magic disappears in rout by Wisconsin
- The New X-Files Trailer Will Feature Scully and Mulder's Missing Son
- Four Observations From Week Six Of College Football