French President Emmanuel Macron appealed to Chinese leaders Monday to form a partnership on climate change and African development during a visit in which he also is expected to press Beijing for better market access.
As president, Macron has pushed for the European Union to screen foreign investments in its strategic sectors and, signalling French annoyance at China's reluctance to open some of its domestic markets, that issue has been a focal point of the three-day visit.
Macron also made his stance about the BRI clear during his interview with Chinese media.
The state visit concluded today.
After Donald Trump announced last summer that he would pull the United States out of the Paris climate deal, French president Emmanuel Macron trolled him in a televised address in English, saying, "Make our planet great again". "Let's open up both instead". As well as aerospace, the agrifood sector is seen as key. Safran SA signed a $2.9-billion deal to provide engines to Spring Airlines, according to a statement from the French president's office.
"The French foreign minister's November visit to China seemed to ignore human rights, giving an impression of insincerity and inconsistency on rights issues", Jeannerod said.
During the state visit, the Chinese online retailer JD.com announced plans to sell French goods worth £1.8 billion to Chinese consumers over the next two years.
Given the fact that three French ex-presidents - Francois Mitterrand, Jacques Chirac, and Nicolas Sarkozy - had all visited the Terracotta Army during their trips to China, it seems that Macron wanted to display his special knowledge about Chinese history.
The two reassured each other they would "deepen cooperation" on environment and climate change, and applauded each other's recent achievements: the Paris One Planet Summit hosted by France and soft launch of a national emissions trading scheme in China.
Ninety percent of China's beef imports come now from Brazil, Uruguay, Australia and New Zealand.
- Overwatch League Is On, And Is Latest Signal Of Esports Boom
- NFL Roundup: Saints Oust Panthers, Jaguars Edge Bills To Advance
- Bears Introduce New Head Coach Matt Nagy
- Tua Tagovailoa or Jalen Hurts? Alabama Has QB Controversy Next Season
- New Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose Federal Intervention on Marijuana
- Wisconsin agencies aim to address human trafficking
- Republican US Representative Issa of California to retire -statement
- Rushing duo carries Bulldogs over Sooners in epic Rose Bowl finish
- Bill Belichick says he 'absolutely' intends to coach Patriots next season
- AG Sessions gets backup from law enforcement associations on his marijuana stance