Mercredi, 20 Février 2019
Latest news
Main » Water Main Break at JFK Airport Causes More Flight Delays

Water Main Break at JFK Airport Causes More Flight Delays

12 Janvier 2018

The main break forced the airport to suspend worldwide flight arrivals, adding to the countless delays and cancellations over the past several days, Reuters reported.

The airport's runways and taxiways were fully operational, the port authority said earlier Sunday, but airlines remain in recovery mode after the storm, and many hundreds of passengers are stranded from canceled flights.

It was not immediately clear how many flights were disrupted, and the Port Authority urged passengers to check with their airlines for flight information. While the water main break appeared to be weather-related, Cotton said officials would examine whether "any other failures" contributed to the problem. The flooding took out two thirds of the arrivals area of Terminal 4, including Customs and Immigration processing facility. A social media post from the Port Authority Police Department (PAPD) showed the PAPD's aircraft rescue fire fighter unit responding to the incident, saying the China Southern 777's wing tip struck the tail end of the Kuwait Airways 777, causing damage to both aircraft.

Independent travel correspondent Simon Calder advised those stuck in NY during the storm: "Airlines have a clear and unlimited obligation to provide a hotel room and all meals, as well as transport to and from the airport, until they can get you home".

Around 3:30 p.m., the airport announced via Twitter that worldwide flights into Terminal 4 had been shut down.

JFK had 19 inbound and 39 outbound flights canceled or delayed Monday morning after a weekend of disruptions. But a fresh start was not to be, as a water main busted Sunday, causing flooding in one of JFK's terminals. "It serves as a major global hub for Delta Airlines", the airport website says. Flights later resumed but with delays, it said.

In a statement, Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton called the situation at the airport "unacceptable".

In addition, those who were able to get off their planes were faced with long waits for baggage, like that faced by Merrill-for some, those bags never came, and they left empty-handed after waiting for hours. Such an investigation must encompass a broad look at Port Authority and airport policies and procedures before, during and after hazardous weather, and it must result in a public report with detailed recommendations.

"I'm so angry words can't even express how I feel right now", Bill Carver, a traveler from Austin, Texas, told CBS New York. The disruption occurred while the U.S. Northeast continued to endure bone-chilling weather with the NY temperature at 17 degrees Fahrenheit (-8 Celsius).

Water Main Break at JFK Airport Causes More Flight Delays