At Oneida's Fast Pace urgent care clinic, patients were reportedly warned of a three-hour wait on Friday.
Tennessee is one of only 13 states that is not reporting widespread flu activity.
On Wednesday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta issued a Special Health Alert for the State of Texas regarding the high incidence of influenza. Typically, the flu season peaks near the end of February. "The last time we were on restriction was the 2014-15 season".
Complicating matters, this year's flu vaccine is not particularly effective.
The flu strain, H3N2, is leading the way which usually indicates a rough flu season is ahead, according to state Chief Health Officer Dr. Rahul Gupta. If someone does get the flu after having received the vaccine, it will be shorter and less severe in most cases, he said. So far, about 90 percent of U.S.flu cases have been of this type, he said.
Vaccines can be tricky, as global medical researchers attempt to include the strains of flu most likely to be circulating.
The new "universal" vaccine uses genetic material of the influenza virus - the part that doesn't mutate - and teaches your body to recognize it. Even if people who have gotten the immunization contract the flu, it can still help reduce the severity of the symptoms.
Cases of influenza across Wisconsin have been growing at a rapid rate in recent weeks. The research team tested the vaccine on primates, and found T cell responses were so fast the primates just did not get sick. Previous seasons in which A (H3N2) viruses were predominant were associated with more hospitalizations and deaths among older adults and young children compared with other age groups. The name, age, address, and gender of the child are not disclosed to the public.
Thousands of Americans die of the virus each year. It's important to remember that people who have severe influenza illness, or who are at high risk of serious influenza-related complications, should get treated with influenza antiviral medication if they get flu symptoms regardless of whether or not they got vaccinated.
- Bannon To Be Interviewed By House Intel For Russia Probe
- Federal Judge Rules DACA Must be Reinstated
- Mark Ingram on Alabama freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa: 'He's the man'
- President Of The Mormon Church Dies
- Réforme: le fil d'actualité Facebook privilégie la famille et les amis
- Manchester United's Romelu Lukaku set to return for FA Cup opener
- Jose Mourinho on Antonio Conte feud: I have silent contempt
- N.Korea may join PyeongChang Games
- Best teaser picks against the spread (ATS), Divisional Round
- HIllary Clinton responds to Trump's reported comment