Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam on Saturday demanded that BMC commissioner Ajoy Mehta should be suspended over the fire at Kamala Mills, which claimed 14 lives.
"A manhunt has also been launched for the three owners of the popular pub-cum-food joint in Kamala Mills complex, who have been on the run since the incident", he said.
Restaurants and pubs in prominent mills and malls like Kamala Mills, Raghuvanshi Mills, R-City Mall, Neelyog Mall, Evershine Mall figured high on BMC's list during the drive. They must be removed from their place of service immediately, the report says according to the source.
"In various zones, the DHOs (Deputy Health Officer) under whom health inspectors work, carry out surprise inspections to check compliance with norms", a senior official of the corporation told PTI.
He said their teams on the field have the documents of structures which are unauthorised or illegal. These areas are administered by the North Delhi Municipal Corporation. "In the long term, we are looking at breaking the fire brigade into two parts, wherein the fire fighting wing is separate and the fire permissions and compliance wing is separate", he said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has said that BMC Commissioner has been asked to investigate the fire case. The message says that this team will inspect its respective wards in all the restaurants and will ensure that there are adequate arrangements to avoid the fire. It is also speculated that the fire could have started in Mojo's Bistro, where bartenders would regularly put on a show, which involved fire.
In fact, the preliminary inspection by the BMC on Friday detected an unauthorized partition wall and two rooms, besides an illegal plastic roof supported with bamboos which was reduced to ashes in the early Friday morning blaze.
"Hardly any manager or owner is opposing our action as we have proof", Dotonde said. The administration has taken action against at least five eateries after the fire.
The civic body has issued warnings to them and sought compliance while 10 buildings have been put under prosecution, fire official said.
- California rescuers use dogs, scanners to search deadly mudslide debris
- Fusion GPS admits McCain role in anti-Trump dossier
- Will United hijack Sanchez's move to City — Transfer Window Latest
- Voice assistant integration is the top smart-home trend at CES
- Falcons vs. Eagles NFL Divisional Betting Preview and Analysis
- Donald Trump Reiterates Support For 'Merit Based' Immigration
- DeMarco Murray (knee) officially out Saturday for Titans
- Djokovic beats Thiem in strong comeback after 6-month absence
- Switch becomes Dark Souls of Nintendo consoles with Dark Souls Remastered
- LG Demos 88inch 8K OLED Display