With new hopes, resolutions, motivation and positivity we welcome a new year.
All parking garages in the area will also be shut down. That is why security will be unprecedented Sunday night.
James Waters, the Chief of the Counter-Terrorism Bureau has explained what you can expect when you go to Times Square. "We understand why we are a target".
But according to The New Yorker, the ball-drop was a back-up plan.
"This year is on track to be the safest on record thanks in large part to the men and women of the NYPD", said Mayor Bill de Blasio.
One of the first countries to celebrate was Australia, where fireworks exploded over the famed Sydney Opera House to usher in the New Year.
Some of the tips offered for the crowd of revelers expected in Times Square for what could be one of the coldest New Year's Eve ball drops on record include dressing in layers, laying off the booze and taking hand warmers.
Officers involved in the New Year's Eve security operation will receive a tactical bulletin and a training video on suicide bombers that they will be able to review on their department-issued phones starting Friday.
It's finally time: New Year's Eve is here again and the city is buzzing with excitement.
"The takeaway from our preparations is this: People will be safe, and they should feel safe, too", O'Neill said.
New Year's Eve ranks as the sixth most favorite holiday among Americans.
They began the annual countdown one minute before midnight.
Spectators will have 12 access points-each with vapor wake dogs, bag checks, and heavy weapons units. Backpacks, large bags, umbrellas and alcoholic beverages will be prohibited, and property can not be abandoned at checkpoints.
Attendees who leave before the ball drops will not be able to regain entry to their original viewing area.
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's office said state agencies, including state police, the National Guard, the Metropolitan Transportation Agency and the Port Authority will bolster security at bridges, tunnels, airports, transit hubs and other high-profile locations.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (NYSE:HPE), HCA Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE:HCA)
- Massive security flaw detected in recent generations of CPUs
- Weather alerts issued ahead of winter storm
- At least 13 people killed in California mudslides
- Hillary Clinton tweets about Trump's 'ignorant, racist views'
- Eight More Flu-Related Deaths Reported in Iowa
- Philly Immigration Advocates React To Federal Court Ruling Blocking End OF DACA
- Freeland welcomes Trump's suggestion of NAFTA talks extension
- After sh*thole comment, reporter April Ryan asks Trump if he's racist
- Dick Durbin refutes Trump, says he did say "sh*tholes" -- repeatedly