Sam's Club confirmed Wednesday that it abruptly closed 63 stores across the country on Thursday.
The company is also creating a new benefit to assist employees with adoption expenses.
Lansing Mayor Andy Schor, who took office January 1, said the city will do what it can to find employment for Sam's Club employees who will lose their jobs and can't find positions elsewhere.
The nation's largest retailer, with about 1.5 million US employees and almost $500 billion in global revenue, also said it would expand its workers' maternity and parental leave benefits.
"I think they did that.to help people, help the community, help the employees, and help their families", said Matthew Sammons, a Walmart employee in Wilmington of 10 years.
On Thursday evening a press release was issued in which Walmart, the owner of Sam's Club, said that 12 of the 63 stores would be converted to fulfillment centers.
Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed
Though Walmart reported that Sam's Club's sales rose 4.4 percent in the most recently completed quarter, the company said that the closures will free up resources that can be focused on bolstering its website as well as in-store technology, USA Today reported.
There are two Sam's Club stores in Montana - one in Billings and the other in Great Falls. Several reports indicate that many Sam's Club workers did not find out about the closings until they showed up to work only to find locked doors.
"We've chose to right-size our fleet and better align our locations with our strategy", said Sam Club chief executive John Furner. The one-time bonus represents an additional payment to associates of approximately $400 million, Walmart said.
Full and part-time workers at Walmart, the world's biggest retailer, will receive a bonus of up to $1,000 based on their length of service.
"It's allowing them to focus on things that are working", Simon said on "Closing Bell".
The minimum wage increase comes about a year after Walmart hiked hourly pay to at least $10 for most workers.
- CES 2018: Sony adds to mid-range smartphone line-up
- Klopp confirms Mohamed Salah is fit for Manchester City clash
- Belichick denies ESPN report of problems with Brady and Kraft
- Instant triple talaq bill likely to be introduced in Rajya Sabha today
- Supreme court leans toward OH voter purge - and other states may follow
- Jon Gruden brings up Tom Brady anger in Raiders welcome
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle bundled up for visit to a radio station
- UN welcomes talks b/w North, South Korea
- Oil hits highest level since 2015 amid Iran unrest jitters
- Does YouTube enable controversial stars like Logan Paul?