Mardi, 23 Janvier 2018
Latest news
Main » First Responders Search For Survivors After Deadly California Mudslides

First Responders Search For Survivors After Deadly California Mudslides

14 Janvier 2018

Officials say a clerical mistake led to the figure of eight being released. They'd painted the phrase "Case de Contenta" on the side - "House of Contentment", in Alice Mitchell's words, according to Megan Alice Mitchell, their granddaughter.

But 62-year-old Delbert Weltzin, who had been previously identified as missing, was "found alive and well", Brown told the AP. He died after being pulled away by the torrents in the early hours of the morning.

"Everywhere I turned, there was chaos", Montecito resident Shawn Monroe told the Washington Post.

"Oh Lord, I am praying for the sweet town of Montecito".

Rescuers said they would search every piece of debris and pile of dirt to look for the missing.

The sheriff's office says Weltzin and the Keating who is still missing are homeless men who frequent the Montecito area.

The majority of fatalities reported so far occurred in Montecito, the wealthiest district in Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Joseph Bleckel had been on the missing list but still the number of people unaccounted is five. "These people had very limited time, if any, to know to get out". "I live there, Oprah lives there", she went on. "I'm going to do everything I can".

About 100 homes were destroyed and hundreds of others were severely damaged in the coastal enclave of about 9,000 people northwest of Los Angeles.

Sheriff's deputies also knocked on doors in the mandatory evacuation area to warn residents to leave. Caroline, a high school water polo star and a senior at Barnard College in NY, was killed, her uncle said.

The destruction covered 30 square miles and more than 2,100 personnel from local, state and federal agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Navy and the American Red Cross are involved in "challenging" search, recovery and relief efforts.

The mud and debris overwhelmed many homes and wiped some of them out. Car-sized boulders littered streets.

Torrential rain triggered a series of catastrophic mudslides in the Montecito area of Santa Barbara on Tuesday morning, reducing buildings to rubble and killing at least 18 people.

"(In) four minutes the water was through our wall and in our house, nearly to the second story", he said. "There's nearly always more" that could come down, Jibson said.

But there were also glimmers of optimism amid the fury of the flood.

Oprah Winfrey, who just days ago won the praise of Hollywood with a Golden Globe lifetime achievement award, is now being directly affected by the damage. "Praying for the survivors and preparing for whatever may come". When the flooding receded, they chose to flee.

"This is the department's highest priority, and we are working in close coordination with incident command to get the job done as safely and quickly as possible".

NBC News couldn't immediately verify his account.

DeGeneres also tweeted out her own photo of the aftermath.

"There used to be a fence right here".

Josie's devastated son Hayden searched for her on Wednesday before she was found.

In an area where the Thomas Fire already had caused lengthy evacuations last month, many said a sense of weariness had set in.

"We know the area intimately", he said.

Henzgen, the Los Angeles Fire Department captain, pointed to a almost empty lot. Company spokeswoman Erin Lammers said Riskin was a ballerina with the American Ballet Theater in NY before an injury cut short her dancing career. This story will be updated as more information becomes available about the people who lost their lives in Montecito.

When Clay and Kelly Weimer couldn't reach the Mitchells, they jumped in their auto Tuesday and headed south from the Bay Area.

First Responders Search For Survivors After Deadly California Mudslides