Eight more influenza-related deaths were reported by state health officials Friday, underscoring the seriousness of this year's strain to those most vulnerable to it.
"Yes, there might be concerns about one of the four elements, but at the end of the day there's still the other three and still a significant benefit to be had by getting a flu shot, even now".
According to the Amarillo Public Health Department, there have been 3,303 cases in Randall and Potter counties alone.
On January 2, 2018, Dallas County health officials reported a sixth death from the flu.
"This year's flu virus appears to be affecting older persons especially hard", Pino said. Across the country, more than 80 percent of cases this season involve a different, nastier strain, H3N2 - the same strain that plagued Australian during its flu season. H3N2 also mutates quickly, so the "reference strain" included in the flu shot may differ slightly from the H3N2 strain that shows up during flu season, lowering the vaccine's effectiveness.
Infection with the flu can cause fever, headache, cough, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, and body aches. People who are at high-risk for flu complications, such as young children, pregnant woman and elderly people, may need a prescription antiviral drug, such as Tamiflu or Relenza, the news release said. This should include avoiding going to work, school and other public places while ill, and limiting visits to people in nursing homes or hospitals.
Health officials say our area has suffered from Influenza type A, but they expect two more strands to make a presence here after students return from winter vacation.
If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. You might still get the flu if you've been immunized - but you're still getting some benefit, Pedersen said.
The traditional flu season lasts from October through May.
The CDC last month reported that the 2017-18 flu season was ramping up at a faster pace than last season. In terms of the numbers, we are having a slight increase this week.
- Samsung Unveil 146-inch Modular 4K TV in Las Vegas
- South Africa ease to 78/0 at lunch on flat pitch
- South Africa win toss, opt to bat in second test v India
- Rwanda Saddened by President Trump 'Racist' Comments
- Fiat Chrysler to invest $1bn in MI production plant
- Jose Mourinho: 'Alexis Sanchez is a phenomenal player'
- Windhorst: Lakers don't support Walton, could be eyeing David Fizdale
- Chelsea boss Antonio Conte fires back at Man Utd manager Jose Mourinho
- Markram falls short of century in 2nd India Test
- United Kingdom grocery mulls over government war on plastic waste