The forward was expected to sign for City this month, but once United entered the race for his signature, and offered a greater financial package, the Premier League leaders ended their interest.
'He is a fantastic player and obviously he has wanted to leave since the summer.
Mkhitaryan's agreement is significant in the transfer proceedings because both Wenger and the player's agent, Mino Raiola, stayed bullish that a deal could not be completed without the Armenian coming to the Emirates stadium.
"There is nothing new", Mourinho told reporters on Friday regarding Sanchez.
"We need to anticipate it now".
"As it turns out, we not only managed to stop them scoring more goals, we got one of our own and reduced the deficit to a minus three rather than a minus seven or eight".
"But if you have the chance to do some special players, some player in special circumstances, some player that you do in the summer and you have the chance to do it now".
Mourinho, speaking in his post-match conference following his side's narrow 1-0 victory over Burnley at Turf Moor, suggested that the Sanchez deal would come to fruition in the immediate future.
"He [Sterling] can play there". Okay, we have not been together for 10 years or so.
Delph, a midfielder, was deployed at leftback in City's 4-3 defeat by Liverpool last weekend but limped off in the first half with a knee injury, while the often injured Kompany is touch-and-go for the Newcastle game.
"The market is the market". That doesn't happen in one transfer window.
The Frenchman said: "January has been hard for us, destabilising. Everyone is giving everything they can and I think they will be successful". Immediately I accept that decision and move forward to find another solution.
'Phil (Coutinho) has left us, yes, but to talk about players from this squad who want to leave for another top-six club, I can't see it happening.
I will speak about him and what he can bring to our team. That's why we did it.
"This period creates a odd feeling in the dressing room".
"We did the same for the amount of money for four, five or six players".
- Why this is the "Trump shutdown"
- Donald Trump insists he exercises after physician's concerns
- Gael Monfils battles through extreme Melbourne heat against Novak Djokovic
- Turkey wants OK from Russian Federation and Iran for airstrikes on Syria
- Eric Trump defends president over racism: 'My father sees one color: green'
- Chelsea boss Conte and British football pundits slam VAR
- United States government shuts down as funding deal is blocked
- Cormier can't escape Jones forward of UFC championship protection
- US Government shutsdown as senate fails to agree on new budget
- Ed Sheeran and Cherry Seaborn are engaged