Although Madrid remain in fourth spot in La Liga, two points behind Valencia and well adrift of runaway leaders Barcelona, a first away win since late November will ease the pressure on Zidane ahead of the Champions League last-16 first leg at home to Paris Saint-Germain on February 14. Real have been knocked out of the Copa del Rey and sit no less than 19 points behind Barcelona in the La Liga table.
MADRID, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 20: Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid CF reacts as he fail to score during the La Liga match between Real Madrid CF and Real Betis Balompie at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on September 20, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
Ronaldo, however, believes they can still salvage their season by winning the Champions League, with a mouth-watering last 16 tie with Ligue 1 leaders Paris St Germain awaiting them next month.
"I am very happy as it is an important result, not just the result, but we played very well", Zidane said. "We're suffering more mentally than physically", Zidane said. Their big stars haven't hit past heights this season, Cristiano Ronaldo is unhappy and agitating for an improved contract, and Zinedine Zidane seems nearly certain to lose his job unless the team can retain the Champions League. They are ahead of us and to come here and win 4-1 is not easy.
Madrid as a team have also fallen behind expectations despite starting this season as both Spanish and European Champions.
Montoya gifted Ronaldo the chance to get a second goal in the 38th after he slammed into Benzema from behind while the two jumped to dispute a ball inside the area.
Amid mounting speculation suggesting that a man who was involved in a €222 million deal last summer could be about to make another big-money switch, Goal recently revealed that PSG have vowed to open the exit door if Champions League glory is secured in 2018 .
This was a quite typical performance from when Madrid have been at their best in recent years - they rode their luck at times in defence, but were clinical in attack with big-name players coming up with the goods when needed.
Toni Kroos added a fourth goal with a shot from the edge of the area in the 90th.
Valencia continued to push forward but Marcelo made certain of three important points and a first away league win since October with six minutes left, playing a slick one-two with Marco Asensio before burying a low left-foot shot beneath Neto from the left of the area.
"Tomorrow [Tottenham chairman] Daniel Levy could have a bad night and say, "Oh I am going to sack Mauricio".
- United Kingdom ministers pledge business as usual with European Union during Brexit transition
- Roger Federer into Australian Open 2018 final as Chung retires
- Damian Lillard will play for 'Team Stephen' in NBA All-Star game
- Ronda Rousey comments on Royal Rumble Event
- Antonio Conte discusses Chelsea transfer business and offers update on his future
- Operation Olive Branch: Turkey's incursion into Syria explained
- AUSTRALIAN OPEN: Federer sets up Cilic final after seeing off Chung
- Boston Celtics vs. Golden State Warriors Preview 01/27/18
- Victims' families of Ky. high school shooting speak before visitations
- Trump's reported vulgar remark hovers over Davos meeting