The company says it will fix the problem before its release of iOS 11.3 this spring, and the public beta version of iOS 11.3 is unaffected. Once that message is received, Apple's iOS Springboard-an application that manages the iOS home screen-will crash and the Messages app will no longer open. Moreover, even entering the character into a text field of an app can cause that app to crash.
Apple's iOS mobile operating system has encountered a new bug that can crash iPhones.
"The situation gets worse if someone sends you the symbol and iOS tries to show it in a notification".
If this happens to you, it would be best to wait for SpringBoard to restart on its own since trying to force a reboot will trigger a never-ending bootloop.
If you do receive a message with the symbol, delete the message.
The character comes from the Telugu language, which is spoken by around 70 million people in India. It also forced the whole system to stop and reload.
While it may seem unusual that a random text character could bring down one of the most popular operating systems in the world, this is actually not the first weird crashing issue to hit iOS. Roughly 65% of iOS devices are now running iOS 11. Just last month there was a bug that could freeze an iPhone using a single link. The latest beta versions of iOS and macOS are already immune to this issue, and I can confirm the same. It's the latest in a series of bugs that have affected iOS, and its messaging abilities in particular, though it looks like Apple will be fixing this particular one with iOS 11.3 if not before. Apple users will be unable to open their message app once the bug has been sent.
- Florida Students Quit Class To Protest Shootings
- FA Cup: Paul Pogba Ruled Out Of Manchester United's Visit To Huddersfield
- Woods commits to play next week in Honda Classic
- North Korean figure skaters revel in starring role
- NZvAUS: Australia Creates History, Chases 244 Runs In T20
- NASCAR's Daytona 500 Preview with Tim Zimmer
- PSG come from behind to beat Strasbourg and extend Ligue 1 lead
- Americans qualify for men's free skate
- Winter Olympics: History For Yuzuru Hanyu As Snowboarder's Ski Shock Stuns Olympics
- US, Turkey to work together in Syria: Tillerson