Mercredi, 17 Octobre 2018
Latest news
Main » Russia will consider UN ceasefire in Syria

Russia will consider UN ceasefire in Syria

23 Février 2018

"More than 400 or so civilians have been horrifically killed by the Syrian regime", she said.

Soon after the final draft of the resolution was circulated, Nebenzia called for an open Security Council meeting Thursday on eastern Ghouta. Over the past few years of the Syrian conflict, the Syrian crisis has become one of the worst humanitarian crises facing the world with East Ghouta facing the most- dire situation.

The agreement's stated conditions include: "a complete ceasefire binding to all parties, the entry ban of all military troops into Eastern Ghouta, and building Russian observation sites inside Ghouta to monitor the parties' commitment to the agreement".

The U.N. human rights office said Wednesday at least 346 people have died in eastern Ghouta since February 4. "That contains everything we need, the tool box we need to move ahead and to avoid tragedy in Syria and eastern Ghouta to continue".

"The State of Qatar expresses its strong... condemnation of the massacres and intensive aerial bombardments carried out by the forces of the Syrian regime", read a statement released by Qatar's foreign ministry. So far, 403 people have been confirmed dead and over 2,000 others have been wounded.

The latest text softens language in a key provision to say that the council "demands" a ceasefire instead of "decides".

Turkey launched a military offensive on January 20 to clear Afrin from the YPG, which it considers a terror group.

The draft resolution would pave the way for the truce to go into effect 72 hours after the adoption of the measure and for aid deliveries and medical evacuations to begin 48 hours after that.

Swedish Ambassador Olof Skoog said, "We are trying to find a way forward". Lavrov recalled that recently, the terrorists were proposed a scheme for a peaceful withdrawal from the city of Eastern Ghuta, similar to what happened with about 3,000 armed men and their families who left by a humanitarian corridor in Aleppo, at the end of 2016.

Anti-regime groups, mostly Islamist factions as well as Al-Qaeda's former Syrian affiliate, have controlled the area since 2012.

"There is significant destruction and casualties among the civilian population".

At least 335 people have been killed since February 18, according to SOHR.

In a statement published Friday, the army said Turkish artillery hit the 30 to 40-vehicle convoy of the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, in southeastern Afrin.

The aid community has voiced its frustration at being prevented from assisting civilians in Eastern Ghouta, which has been under government siege since 2013. The United Nations has denounced the bombardment, which has struck hospitals and other civilian infrastructure, saying such attacks could be war crimes. "It is not my position, not my role, to be able to say what we will do".

Russia will consider UN ceasefire in Syria