The Huskies are 7-8 all time in the NIT, but before they can ponder possible opponents they must first cope with the disappointment of missing the NCAA tournament for the sixth straight year.
Life on the edge of getting in the NCAA Tournament can be an up-and-down affair that can give you an exciting feeling one moment, and a bad feeling the next. Interim AD Vince Tyra told a Louisville radio station last week that the school had already filed paperwork to accept a NIT bid if a NCAA spot was not proffered. Oklahoma was a nine-seed in their tournament and still got their ticket punched.
The victor of that game will play the victor of No. 1 Baylor and No. 8 Wagner. The winners of the two first-round games will meet in Monday's second round.
The Washington-Boise State victor will play the victor of the game between Saint Mary's and Southeastern Louisiana. "I really do feel like we got slapped in the face". UW was 20-11 going into the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas. Not even enough to get a home game in the National Invitation Tournament. 25 Arizona State and then-No. Neither Padgett, Tyra nor senior forward Anas Mahmoud would confirm if a vote ever happened but all acknowledged there were discussions about the Cardinals' options Sunday night if they were left out of the 68-team tournament field. The Broncos' bid for an NCAA tournament berth expired last week after a 78-75 upset loss to Utah State in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament. The Ducks have reached the NIT Final Four in NY on three occasions: 1975, 1999 and 2004.
Hopkins and the Huskies opened with Oregon State in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. Despite losing their starting front line, the Huskers were also six points per game better on the offensive end this season.
Washington is 8-1 lifetime against Boise State, but the teams haven't played in 19 years.
The Bears lost in the championship game in 2009 and won the NIT title in 2013.
His latest rebuilding effort at Mississippi State saw the Bulldogs finish seventh in the SEC standings with a 9-9 ledger after placing 12 in 2017. 2 Kansas in Kansas City, Mo.
It's understandable that the players are ready to move on from 2017-18, but they'll return to the court Thursday as a No. 2 seed opposite No. 7 Northern Kentucky. Vermont, Middle Tennessee, and Louisiana-Lafayette are three of the strongest mid-major regular season champions. The contest on Friday, March 16 will air live on ESPN2 at 1:30 p.m. The other two pairings in this section of the bracket include Hampton at Notre Dame and Temple at Penn State. Overall this year, MSU is 22-11, it's most wins since having 21 in 2012.
- East River helicopter crash kills five in New York City
- Trump halts Qualcomm takeover by Broadcom for national security
- Pennsylvania election to be a test of pre-midterm Democratic appeal
- At least two teams willing to offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed deal
- Singhvi, Ketkar among 10 Congress candidates for Rajya Sabha polls
- Donald Trump says United States should consider death penalty for drug dealers
- Sevilla prepared to 'suffer' against Man United at Old Trafford - Montella
- Manchester United don't need Paul Pogba: Liverpool game showed that - Craig Burley
- Browns LT Joe Thomas compares Tyrod Taylor to Russell Wilson
- Ireland knock England down to third in world rankings