Despite contaminated meat being a common occurrence for failed drug tests in the past, Canelo was temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) before a formal complaint was filed against him.
His withdrawal could now open the door for WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders, who was made the stand-by for a mega-millions-fight with the Kazakh knock-out merchant amid Canelo's failed tests.
"I have always been a clean fighter and I always will be a clean fighter", Alvarez said Tuesday during a conference call with reporters, according to Yahoo Sports. From here on out, I will take precautions before future fights and make sure this never again happens. Canelo counter-punched brilliantly, Golovkin attacked relentlessly and the controversial draw paved the way for what would have been the biggest bout of 2018.
Rumors of fight being potentially cancelled started back in February when Alvarez had tested positive for a banned steroid.
Alvarez, who is facing a one-year suspension from the Nevada Athletic Commission for an anti-doping violation, chose to withdraw from the megabout before learning his fate at the commission's monthly meeting April 18.
"All these times I have not tested positive but I respect the Nevada Commission and the truth is the rematch will have to wait". If I get the opportunity to go in against the best I won't let you down. "I've been involved in this sport for years, had never had a negative test result thanks to God".
It was set to be the marquee bout for the HBO pay-per-view event, which will be held at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
He tweeted: "I will be defending my titles on Cinco de Mayo (5 May) in Las Vegas!" I was very much looking forward to this fight.
After the fight, the 31-year-old signed with Matchroom Boxing and HBO for the sole objective of one day securing a rematch against Golovkin. Many Mexican fighters have had this same issue in the past with meat they have eaten from their home country. "Come on", Golovkin said in March.
Despite his challenger falling away, Golovkin confirmed that his fight will definitely be going ahead, teasing an official announcement for his next challenger soon.
- Intermediate Trend: Pier 1 Imports, Inc. (PIR)
- Ball-tampering scandal: Australian skipper Steve Smith won't challenge 12-month ban
- Is Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE:BSX) Attractive at $27.32?
- Apple reveals gender pay gap at UK operations
- Barcelona has doubts about Messi, Busquets against Roma
- Female shooter at YouTube headquarters is identified
- Instagram Limits the Access of Third Party Apps to Personal User Data
- United States stock market mixed after big drop
- Trump wants United States troops out of Syria
- Wintry weather returns Tuesday