In addition, there is a 3.4 per cent median bonus pay gap between men and women, which is predominantly due to most pilots being male.
Former Premier League champions Leicester City have published two sets of figures to show the gender pay gap between its employees. All businesses with over 250 employees were given the date as a deadline to reveal the difference in average pay between male and female employees.
John Lewis reported a median gender pay gap of 7.8 per cent.
Turner, the parent company of CNN, said in a filing Tuesday that its mean gender pay gap in the United Kingdom was 21%, while its median gap was 27%. According to the American Association of University Women, which promotes "equity and education for women and girls", the gender pay gap is widest in Louisiana and Utah, where women's earnings are only 70 percent of men's, and narrowest in NY state. The mean gap is found out by adding hourly wages paid to full-time male and female employees.
Never before has the difference between what men and women are paid been in sharper focus. Headline-grabbing comments about pay inequality were also made at the most recent Golden Globe Awards and Academy Awards ceremonies.
We just closed out Women's History Month with some more of the same, and not in a good way.
How does gender pay gap reporting work? Angry voices decry the gender pay gap, saying it doesn't exist, or that we've got it muddled with equal pay - something entirely different.
On average, women with seven to 10 years of experience, for example, ask for about 90 cents on the dollar and are offered slightly more - 93 cents for every dollar a man is offered. Bonus payments to men and women are also compared.
Ryanair was among the big names with high gaps, registering a median hourly rate for women 71.8 percent lower than men's.
Finally, you need to create an action plan off the back of this analysis - this is not now mandatory but Fawcett has argued that it should be, and we urge all employers to set out what they intend to do to close the gap.
The majority of the U.K.'s gender pay gap reports have revealed such a dire picture that companies' pledges of their commitment to progress can ring hollow.
The East of England Co-op had a low median (1.1%) but a higher mean gap of 20.2%, which it said was down to "gender imbalance" in its highest-paying roles.
- Real Madrid's Nacho suffers injury ahead of Juventus clash
- Google has plans to launch a mid-range Pixel phone
- Trump lashes out at Amazon for paying "little or no" tax
- Kewaunee baseball, softball drop games against Peshtigo
- Ball-tampering scandal: Australian skipper Steve Smith won't challenge 12-month ban
- United States stock market mixed after big drop
- Nokia 6 (2017) receives price cut ahead of Nokia 6 (2018) launch
- Apple will stop using Intel chips in Macs; INTC shares -8.7%
- Ronaldo stunning bicycle kick helps Real take charge v Juve
- Pitching Stock: Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ:STX)