During his opening remarks, Zuckerberg stressed the company's "idealistic and optimistic" ethos, geared towards connecting people. And no, he's not resigning.
"We want Facebook to tell the truth regarding the work that is being done to stop this and the scale of the fake news and fake post problem".
In the hearings, Zuckerberg is not only trying to restore public trust in his company but also to stave off federal regulations that some lawmakers have floated.
On Wednesday, the Facebook boss will testify before the House Energy and Commerce Committee, in a hearing dubbed "Facebook: Transparency and Use of Consumer Data".
The Green Party said the committee has agreed to its request. We do that for a number of reasons, including security and including measuring ads to make sure that the ad experiences are the most effective, which of course people can opt out of.
Zuckerberg's use of the word "probably" there is telling.
The breach has not severely impacted user figures however, despite a "delete Facebook" movement on other social networks.
Mark Zuckerberg has apologized many times in his years running Facebook, but this time is different. It wasn't as if senators could forget about the Russian meddling. Zuckerberg has also lost millions as a result of the ongoing saga - as of Tuesday, he was down $80 billion since the Cambridge Analytica scandal happened.
Facebook's stock was up about two per cent even before Zuckerberg sat down.
Zuckerberg said, "If we find someone improperly used data we are going to ban them from Facebook and tell everyone affected". Durbin, a Democrat from IL, asked.
Mark Zuckerberg said, "I think it's pretty much impossible".
"I actually am not aware of a subpoena - I believe that there may be", Zuckerberg said. "Your right to privacy". "Oh wait, they all already know we did everything the right way, with zero collusion, no improper data, with great marketing from an awesome candidate".
Senator John Thune, a Republican from South Dakota, asked Zuckerberg if he's willing to make a commitment to protect political speech from "all different corners".
- World Health Organization demands 'immediate' access to Syria's victims of chemical attack
- Google Home Speakers Launched in India - Echo Has Some Competition!
- UN Security Council Held Emergency Meeting On Syria Conflict
- Ronda Rousey linked with EPIC WrestleMania 35 main event match
- Where would you rather have your private data stored?
- Thousands gather for Ministry to Get Winnie Madikizela-Mandela
- Burglary Suspect Arrested After Police Chase
- Haley says Russian Federation chose 'protecting a monster' over Syrian people
- All-new Ford Focus revealed
- 'A Quiet Place' Weekend Box Office Surprise Makes Some Noise