His efforts though could not seal the match for his side as Hyderabad won the match by one wicket and off the last delivery of the match.
Earlier, Mumbai scored 147 runs for the loss of eight wickets. Mustafizur Rahman followed it up with an incredible penultimate over, conceding just 1 run and picking up two crucial wickets to turn the game on its head.
Markande made further inroads, with Dhawan and Manish Pandey (11) both guilty of skying the ball to fielders in the deep, and then Shakib chopping onto his stumps.
Mumbai lost wickets at regular intervals, often just as batsmen had seemingly got themselves set - Rohit Sharma (11), Evin Lewis (29), Krunal Pandya (15) and Kieron Pollard (28) all fell shortly after a flurry of boundaries. But Mumbai will be sweating in for the fitness of star all-rounder Hardik Pandya, after he suffered a twisted ankle in the last game.
Asked to bat, Hyderabad bowlers Sandeep Sharma (2/25), Billy Stanlake (2/42) and Siddharth Kaul (2/29) bowled brilliantly to restrict Mumbai to 147/8.
Expectations will be high from local boy Shreyas Iyer, apart from captain Gambhir, Rishabh Pant, Aussie Glenn Maxwell, Englishman Jason Roy and Kiwi Colin Munro. Highly rated U-19 World Cup winning batsman Shubman Gill, in that scenario, might make his IPL debut. So it's the second straight win for SRH to start the tournament. All-rounder Daniel Christian is also an option.
The dew factor may not play a significant role as it's an evening game. This included an incredible 18 dot balls which added up to 75% of his deliveries.
Skipper Gambhir has been smart with his choices like his bowling variations. The first was Yuzvendra Chahal, who did it for the Mumbai Indians against the Trinidad & Tobago team in the 2011 Champions League. Amit Mishra and Jayant Yadav are good bowling options with Nepal teenager Sandeep Lamichanne to back the experienced spinners.
It was young leg-spinner Mayank Markande (4/23 in 4 overs) once again impressed one and all with his temperament and control as his spell got Mumbai Indians back in the match despite a modest total on board. Though, their bowling has been decent but not their best despite having the likes of Trent Boult, Mohammed Shami, Amit Mishra, Chris Morris, Shahbaz Nadeem, Rahul Tewatia, etc.
- Facebook CEO: Europe's GDPR standards to be implemented worldwide
- Watchdog: No charges against police in 2017 arrest
- Stock Market Rallies As China's President Eases Fears Of Trade War
- Fortnite Introduces Port-a-Fort Grenades
- Trump, Robert Mueller interview prospects dimmed by Federal Bureau of Investigation raid on Michael Cohen
- UEFA Europa League: Arsenal face Atletico test, Marseille draw Salzburg in semis
- Mark Zuckerberg Admits His Personal Data Was Compromised During Cambridge Analytica Leak
- Proposed 4J bond would make schools safer, board says
- A tenser Zuckerberg endures 2nd day in Congress
- The Yankees And Red Sox Brawl Because That's How It Must Be