Roma ended a good longer drought, having remaining competed throughout the closing Four in 1984 when the Giallorossi lastly misplaced to Liverpool throughout the closing. Bayern Munich will face Real Madrid and Liverpool will take on AS Roma in the semi-finals of the Champions League following the draw at UEFA's headquarters today.
That was the only time Roma ever reached the semifinals. But the Belgian isn't the only player to star against his parent club in the competition. And should they get past Madrid, then the tantalising prospect of another final against a Jurgen Klopp team awaits. Over in the other, the plucky little guys - relatively speaking, since one of them is five-times winners Liverpool - will attempt to extend their dream runs just that little bit further, all the way to Kyiv. The 44-year-old Robert Kovac also previously played for the club.
"Sevilla have a good team and they proved it", Bayern winger Arjen Robben told reporters. They must be nervous shaking a leg with the his "Dhal Dhak" girl and he laughs, "If I was in their place, I'd be nervous too. That information made it to the outside - definitely not out of Frankfurt - is very annoying, unprofessional and lacking in respect".
Never before have Bayern Munich entrusted the position of head coach to such a young man with no prior experience at a top club.
"Niko was a Bayern player, he knows the people in charge as well as the structure and the club's DNA". The first leg is in Madrid. Although he was unable to steer them out of the Bundesliga's bottom three in his first season, he oversaw a 2-1 aggregate victory over Nurnberg in the relegation play-off.
The 46-year-old remains somewhat of an unknown quantity, though, so here are 10 things you might not know about the incoming Bayern boss.
Bayern, who have already sealed their sixth consecutive Bundesliga title, are on course for a Treble.
Eintract Frankfurt manager Niko Kovac will become the new coach of Bayern Munich at the end of the season.
Bayern have been desperately hunting a replacement for Heynckes, who came out of retirement temporarily when Carlo Ancelotti was sacked in October after a series of poor results.
Kovac fulfils many of Bayern's strict criteria - but not all.
- No "final decision" yet on Syria response, White House says
- Jordan not opposing McCarthy for speaker
- Tesla crash driver's family hires law firm, doubts over autopilot
- Chelsea file complaint with UEFA over 'brutal' treatment by Barcelona stewards
- Donald Trump issues full pardon to former aide to Dick Cheney
- Democrats push for quicker action on Greitens
- India's March exports fall amid trade tensions
- Key Takeaways From The Greitens Report
- FIRST ALERT ACTION DAY tonight due to severe weather
- USA concerned about triggering wider war as it weighs strike on Syria