But Johnson stressed the "overwhelming purpose" of the mission was a response to a series of chemical attacks in recent years.
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, the three countries fired over 100 cruise and air-to-surface missiles, most of which were shot down by Syrian air defense. In an apparent slight at Trump, who claimed this week that the new missiles would be "nice, new and smart", Moscow said some of the equipment was designed as long ago as the 1950s.
"Vladimir Putin, in particular, stressed that if such actions were committed in violation of the United Nations charter continue, then it will inevitably lead to chaos in global relations", the statement said.
- Strikes were launched by British, French and USA forces at 2am Irish Time at three sites connected with the Syrian regime's chemical weapons programme.
There was a bitter exchange at a UN Security Council emergency meeting on Saturday as Russian Federation sought to secure a condemnation of the early morning air strikes by Western powers.
"Without the sanction of the UN Security Council, in breach of the UN charter and the norms and principles of global law, an act of aggression was committed against a sovereign state", the Kremlin said.
"We don't want to see our country just spending all this money on the military while we're getting cutbacks in healthcare, education and housing", said Sale.
McKenzie says the strike will set Syria's chemical program back for years. "I urge the Security Council to assume its responsibilities and fill this gap".
Reading a statement on Syrian TV, Brig.
The scientific research facility in Barzeh, north of Damascus, was purported to be the centre of Bashar al-Assad's chemical weapons programme.
An image provided by the Department of Defense and presented at the Pentagon briefing on Saturday showing the areas targeted in Syria by the US-led coalition.
"Iran, Bashar al-Assad and Russian Federation will remain in control".
Just a few days ago, he voiced his desire to pull U.S. troops out altogether.
The Russian trolls are racing out from under their digital bridges, the Pentagon warned on Saturday.
When asked about Trump's withdrawal statement, the Pentagon chose to refer to the White House, while the State Department's Heather Nauert said she was "not aware of" the decision, declining to comment further.
Reaction from the global community to the strikes has ranged widely on Saturday.
- Risks loom for Comey's book blitz
- 3 takeaways from Game 1 vs. Blazers
- If Trump draws red line, he enforces it: Nikki Haley warns Syria
- #Kathua: Mehbooba accepts resignations of 2 ministers
- Stephen Curry Knee Injury to Be Re-Evaluated in 1 Week
- IRS Awards Tax Filing Extension for Santa Barbara County
- Toronto Raptors vs. Washington Wizards - 4/17/18 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Man City One Win Away From Title After Defeating Spurs
- Area Republicans: Ryan's retirement to have little local effect
- Severe storms possible Sunday night