But Jay Rodriguez's 73rd minute header gave West Brom a stunning victory after they arrived at Old Trafford having lost nine of their previous 10 games.
Meanwhile, Vincent Kompany barely let City's title celebrations begin before setting his side the challenge of making it two in a row next season. "Champions! What a great feeling! So happy to be able to share another trophy with our fantastic fans!"
"After beating Manchester City we wanted a winning spirit until the end of the season but today was one of those days".
A week after City surrendered a 2-0 lead to lose 2-3 to United and squander the chance to wrap up the title in flawless style against their arch-rivals, it was relegation-bound West Brom who served it up on a plate.
Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling scored for City either side of an Ilkay Gundogan penalty as they bounced back in style from the disappointment of their Champions League quarter-final exit at the hands of Liverpool in midweek.
"I have won titles".
"This is a game you always look forward to at Old Trafford, it is the biggest club in the world, to score here is unbelievable and the buzz I feel for how hard we've worked is wonderful to me".
- "But you didn't want it to happen last week, did you?"
"We just keep fighting one game at a time", he added. "We got a positive result and the performance we were looking for".
City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne, a candidate for Player of the Year, said: "Unbelievable season for us". I wouldn't be happy if someone says that I won the title because somebody loses a match.
However, the fans of West Brom - and certainly Manchester City - are likely to remember it for quite some time. One of them is bringing in new, better players, to improve the overall quality of the squad, but also its depth.
For no English champions have successfully defended their Premier League crown since City's once lordly neighbours United won the title for a third straight season in 2008-09.
He also conceded it was sweet to triumph in a country where some critics claimed his purist principles couldn´t flourish.
Doing them on a regular basis, like this Sunday, is another issue. The thrust had to come from them, rather than the situation itself. It's disappointing, even more after the win last week, but this is football.
More importantly, though, it means Pep Guardiola's City team can not now be caught at the top of the table, thus handing the Catalan coach his first Premier League crown in just his second year in English football. It was those Chelsea sides that had the proper winning mentality, steel nerves and pure ability to get the job done.
- Hillman Co Decreased Its Stake in Netflix INC (NFLX) as Shares Rose
- MI vs DD IPL 2018 Match 9 Live Streaming
- NASA all set to launch next planet-hunting telescope
- Pacers rip Cavaliers to snap LeBron NBA playoff streak
- Expect wet, windy weather for the north valley's Monday
- Facebook collects the data of non-facebook users as well, Mark Zuckerberg
- Bayern Munich confirms Niko Kovac will succeed Jupp Heynckes as manager
- Starbucks manager leaves company after calling police on two black men
- New WhatsApp Update Will Let You Re-download Deleted Media Files
- Man arrested, charged with domestic battery with 2-year-old present