The Open Internet Rules prohibited internet providers from establishing slow and fast lanes, and from preferring certain traffic over others.
She added that just three big cable companies control access to the Internet for 70 percent of Americans, and during the past decade, the price for these services has increased nearly twice as fast as inflation.
KitGuru Says: It seemed that all hope had been lost when the vote struck last December, but now it looks like Net Neutrality has a fighting chance.
Under the CRA, the Senate is required to consider a resolution if 30 senators sign a petition forcing a vote. But it seems that the Office of Budget and Management has finally taken the time to put its rubber stamp on some specific amendments in the Restoring Internet Freedom Order. We shouldn't be making it more hard for them to advertise on the internet, or for individuals to access it.
Listen to GeekWire's interview with Cantwell, a vocal advocate for net neutrality, below. In this case, it would bring back net neutrality protections.
We can't allow internet service providers, instead of consumers, to be in charge of determining the future of the internet.
The Democratic senators are getting some help, though, with popular websites like Etsy and OKCupid issuing red alerts on Wednesday, encouraging visitors to contact members of Congress to help save net neutrality. Telecommunications companies would have the power to suppress particular views or limit online speech to those who can pay more.
That's why ISPs like AT&T and Comcast are pushing hard for a fake net neutrality law in name only; one that will profess to deliver the protections consumers are looking for, but whose real objective is to prevent and pre-emt any meaningful state or federal net neutrality protections. "Broadband providers will have more incentive to build networks, especially to underserved areas".
A group of states and others have sued to try to block the new rules from taking effect.
- Gallery: is the new Rolls-Royce Cullinan the best 4x4xFar?
- Iranian Lawmakers Burn American Flag in Parliament
- Rockets fired at Israel from Syria, Israel says
- Sachin Bansal bids Flipkart farewell, says will catch up on gaming, coding
- Donald Trump preparing new sanctions for Iran
- California becomes 1st USA state to mandate solar for new homes
- Oil price surges amid Iran tensions
- Internationale Kritik an Rückzug der USA aus Atom-Deal mit dem Iran
- Microsoft is Testing a Cloud Clipboard and Other Features in Windows 10
- Women Candidates Win Big in NC, WV, Ohio and Indiana Primary Races