Polling in the constituency will now be held on 28 May now and counting will be on 31 May.
"It warrants immediate exercise of the EC's constitutional powers under Article 324 of the Constitution of India", the memorandum said. "People don't trust the current method of polling any more", it said. Rahul Gandhi on Thursday attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over allegations that BJP leader B Sriramulu had bribed former Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan.
Fast forwarding to 1999 when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was heading the BJP government in the national capital, the party lost the election in Bangalore and Congress regained its dominance in the state.
Police have made elaborate security arrangements for the smooth conduct of polls that will go on till 6 pm. A total of 585 companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed.
"He (Sriramalu) should be disqualified from contesting this election as he is involved in bribery", Sibal said. "In the fresh elections, only a candidate who gets at least 50%+1 of the votes cast should be declared elected", it suggests.
"We are going to secure 120 plus seats (in the 224-member assembly)", Mr Siddaramaiah told BBC Hindi's Imran Qureshi. UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi also addressed a rally in the State. Only Modi and Amit Shah photos were seen prominently with caption - "Come out and vote, press the Lotus button to give BJP full majority". "Fortunately, the people of Karnataka will not let that happen".
The JD (S), fighting for political relevance, completes the three-cornered contest in Karnataka and may well play kingmaker in the event of a hung Assembly.
The BJP put the blame on Congress for "manipulating" the election, while the Congress pointed the finger at the owner of the flat, Manjula, a former BJP corporator and claimed that it was "stage-managed" by the BJP.
Opinion polls have failed to provide a clear picture with most giving lead to the Congress in a hung scenario. The decision comes days after almost 10,000 voter identity cards were recovered from a flat in the constituency, leading to a slugfest between the BJP and the Congress. Karnataka goes to polls on Saturday. The Election Commission had filed an FIR on finding counterfoils and 9,746 voters ID cards in the RR Rnagar assembly seat in the southern suburb of Bengaluru.
"The Commission considers it imperative to defer the poll for the time being so that the vitiating effect of the distribution of money and gift items to the electors of the constituency loses its intensity and the seized voter cards can be returned to voters", it added.
- Celebrity Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans react to show's cancellation
- Mumbai crush Knight Riders
- Quels objectifs, motivations et conséquences du choix de Trump — Nucléaire iranien
- Sen. Paul on Sen. McCain, their opposition against Central Intelligence Agency director nominee
- Sonam Kapoor's Husband Anand Ahuja Lists His Favourite Moments From The Wedding
- Calorie Count Coming To More Menus Near You
- Pound `Clinging' Onto Hawkish BOE With ING Eyeing 7-2 Vote Split
- Ramaphosa unhappy with Trump's decision to pull out of Iran nuclear deal
- Jose Mourinho: Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford will be back against Watford
- Pixel smartwatch with Wear OS, new Qualcomm chip coming