UFC213 women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes holds her belt as fighters meet with the media at the T-Mobile Arena on Thursday, July 6, 2017.
Clearly perturbed by being taken down in the second round, Nunes marched forward even more in the third, though she finally encountered some tough resistance. Since then, "Rocky" has been recovering from a career-threatening injury following a grizzly hunting accident.
Speaking to Sirius XM, Thomas said that he believes Nunes will have to get a quick finish in order to really get herself back out there and get some deserved attention. At official open workouts, middleweight Kelvin Gastelum impresses the crowd by speaking Portuguese, and the crowd impresses title challenger Raquel Pennington by not booing her.
Pennington's gas tank can't be challenged, having averaged 13:07 of fight time per UFC bout. After eating another leg kick, Pennington with a right uppercut down the middle. Pennington went for a takedown, but was thwarted.
Another low leg kick and Pennington's left calf is visibly being tenderized here.
Lineker introduced his heavy hands at the midpoint of the first-round when he dropped Kelleher to the canvas with a left hook.
Back to the center of the cage and Nunes lands a front kick to the body. Blow after blow. Nunes slammed Pennington down again, and looked for ground and pound. After a lull in the action, the referee called for them to stand. Pennington ate another knee and went for a takedown. It took Nunes just 48 seconds to dismantle the former UFC champ and superstar.
Herr constant pressure prevented the challenger from mounting any serious offense, restricting her to counter striking. Women's bantamweight champion Nunes defended her 135-pound gold against Pennington. Her corner talked her into going back out, but it was all for naught.
Hoping to escape, Pennington clinched up.
That ill-thought-out approach resulted in her being taken down and eating more strikes on her back. Nunes then maneuvered Pennington to the fence and began brutalizing her with knees and hard shots. Both fighters exchanged strikes. Instead of calling to stop the fight, her corner encouraged her to compete in the fifth round.
In the cage after the fight, Pennington's significant other Tecia Torres joined her in the cage, while Nunes' in Nina Ansaroff did as well.
- FRANK WARREN COLUMN: Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jorge Linares prediction, Willy Hutchinson signs
- Tottenham may have to face selling Kane - Wenger
- Boulder could see drop in temperatures, afternoon storms over the weekend
- Patience is 15th club for Jordan Spieth in Players Championship
- 3 reasons why the Cleveland Cavaliers easily dismantled the Toronto Raptors
- Lebanese politician says strikes warned Israel
- F1: Hamilton on pole as Mercedes lock out Spanish GP front row
- Higher Gas Prices Could Follow Trump's Exit From The Iran Deal
- Never Believe This: 'I Don't Want Anything for Mother's Day'
- Webb Simpson increases Players lead to seven shots