Several of his top aides and political supporters are on hand in Jerusalem, where Trump is opening a new USA embassy.
Monday was the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State of Israel (though not according to the Jewish calendar by which it is normally marked in Israel - that was last month).
In a show of anger fuelled by the embassy move, protesters set tyres ablaze and hurled firebombs and stones toward Israeli troops across the border.
"Of all the things President Trump could have done, doing this (embassy move) is the strongest signal he could send to the Israeli people", North Carolina's Graham said.
In a recorded message at the ceremony, President Trump said he remained "fully committed" to pursuing peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
Iran is funding Hamas' ongoing efforts to promote violence against Israel disguised as mass demonstrations at the Gaza Strip border, Israel's internal security service said on Monday. Most United Nations members don't recognize Israel's sovereignty over East Jerusalem, arguing instead that the city should possess global status.
The Israeli military identified three of those martyred as armed militants whom it said tried to place explosives near the fence in the southern Gaza Strip. There have been several attempts to breach Israel's border fence.
Why is the move so controversial?.
"What the president did when he made this decision was to remove from the Palestinians the right to veto recognition by the United States and other countries of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel", he said. The Palestinian Foreign Minister and the ministry of health in Ramallah asked the global community to stop the "Israeli massacre in Gaza".
Since 1967, Israel has built a dozen settlements, home to about 200,000 Jews, in East Jerusalem. This decision contravenes global law and in particular the UN Security Council and General Assembly resolutions.
Various countries once had embassies based in Jerusalem - but many moved after a 1980 law saw the country explicitly claim the city's east, despite United Nations objections.
- Arsene Wenger names Arsenal starlets who will make Gunners team next season
- Amitabh Bachchan watches Avengers, doesn't understand what happened in the film
- Bethesda officially announces Rage 2
- JUST IN: Neymar speaks about Manchester United move
- France vows pushback against U.S. sanctions on Iran
- Checking out a mother's love
- Walter Buchignani: Formula One returns to the familiar in Spain
- The Buttler did it, Royals still in contention
- Oil jumps after USA abandons Iran deal, plans 'highest level' sanctions
- Vettel defends Ferrari's Spanish Grand Prix strategy