The former Nigeria defender had cited a desire to spend more time with his young family, although, as it transpired, he would take up a similar position at Monaco a little over three weeks later.
"At the moment, it is just to be sure we know how close we are and carry on". Unfortunately, it led to two more Newcastle goals. Trouble was, it came from Newcastle, who had tested Thibaut Courtois well before Dwight Gayle efficiently headed the opening goal when Courtois, under pressure from Jacob Murphy, could only flap a high ball towards the diminutive striker. There, they learned that Liverpool were already leading 2-0 at home to Brighton & Hove Albion, ending any suspense about the identity of the top four.
"They have not made a challenge, they have not made a tackle and they have not made any imprint on this game whatsoever, but Newcastle have been brilliant".
"It is not enough just to finish tenth with four or five teams around you", said Benitez.
"Newcastle were brilliant, they deserved it, all over park they were the better team - they closed and they pressed them". By turn up, I mean they attempted their first shot after 51 minutes.
Ashley added that Benitez would get "every penny generated by the club" to improve his squad. The atmosphere was not quite as emotionally charged as it was two years ago, when Newcastle ran out 5-1 winners against Tottenham on the final day after relegation to the Championship.
However, Benitez will not be penning a new deal until he has received some clarification about his transfer budget for the summer, and the extent to which he will be allowed to spend the money as he sees fit. But his happiness is not the issue, his belief that he can achieve all he wants to achieve, with as much control as he needs, is what is in question.
"For the next game, for sure we must change", Conte said.
Although they have a chance to win the FA Cup next weekend, Antonio Conte wasn't able to secure Champions League football for next season as they finished fifth in the Premier League, while they crashed out of Europe's premier competition at the last-16 stage this time round.
- Oil Dips From Recent Highs On Hopes Of Alternatives To Iran Supply
- 'This is history': US Embassy opens in Jerusalem
- Arsene Wenger names Arsenal starlets who will make Gunners team next season
- Sanctions on Iran to affect oil supply balance
- France vows pushback against U.S. sanctions on Iran
- Erdoğan congratulates new Malaysian PM on election win
- This Rotten Week: Predicting Deadpool 2, Book Club and Show Dogs Reviews
- Marquee race for governor leads Pennsylvania primary ballot
- Iran Threatens To Start 'Industrial Scale' Uranium Enrichment
- Drake softball reaches NCAA Tourney — SPORTS SHORTS