The shootings come amid growing worldwide uproar over the Israeli military's use of deadly force against unarmed protesters.
At least 60 Palestinians were killed throughout the course of the day. Palestinians resumed their protests yesterday, but only dozens turned out. Israel Defense Forces (IDF) say Hamas insurgents used the U.S.'s embassy relocation to Jerusalem as an excuse to storm the border and plant explosives.
Monday's protests were fuelled by the opening of the new US Embassy in Jerusalem, after it was moved from Tel Aviv.
"Erdogan is one of the biggest supporters of Hamas, so there's no doubt he's an expert on terror and slaughter", Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted. "I suggest that he not preach morality to us".
The United States is likely to veto any Security Council action, diplomats said. "When are you going to act?"
Haley told the Security Council that Hamas, with the help of Iran, was to blame for the violence and pointed to Molotov cocktails being flown into Israel via kites.
"We were at the tent camp east of Gaza when the Israelis fired lots of tear gas", Heyam Omar said.
The high casualty toll revived worldwide criticism of Israel's open-fire policies.
He also said Palestinians protesters were using hundreds of pipe bombs, grenades and fire-bombs.
"These were not demonstrations", he said.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel echoed May, stating she was sympathetic to Israel's security needs but expressed concerns about the "escalation of violence" during a phone call with Netanyahu on Tuesday, according to her spokesman, Steffen Seibert.
Israeli officials dispute those numbers. "That is violence that should occupy our attention, too", Haley said.
The protests began on March 30 and have revived calls for refugees to have the right of return to former lands, which now lie inside Israel.
The Gaza border with Israel was quieter on Tuesday, as thousands of Gaza residents attended the funerals of those killed in Monday's clashes.
The United Nations Human Rights Council will hold a special session on Friday to discuss "the deteriorating human rights situation" in the Palestinian Territories, after Israeli forces killed 60 Palestinians. But it seems likely such a breach could have been stopped without such extensive use of lethal force.
We want our message to reach the world.
May 14 marked the 70th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel and was also the day the United States took the controversial step of opening an embassy in Jerusalem.
- Europe seeking quick solution to save Iran nuclear deal - Mogherini
- Le Conseil de sécurité de l'ONU appelle à la retenue — Gaza
- Europe, Iran diplomats plan to save nuclear deal
- Ranking the 5 best Eastern Conference teams LeBron James has destroyed
- David Ortiz Sends Message To LeBron James Before Celtics-Cavs Game 2
- Avengers: Infinity War smashes superhero box office record with £60m takings
- The Seattle-Amazon tax fight is a lose-lose for everyone
- Iran-EU nuclear talks start in Brussels
- Elon Musk restructures Tesla to iron out Model 3 production bottlenecks
- Formula One: Car issues delayed Lewis Hamilton contract talks, says Toto Wolff