"No French side have ever won this trophy; it would be fantastic if we could be the first", he added. The Catalan giants are the favourites to sign the forward.
It now means that six of the last nine winners of both of the Champions League and Europa League have been Spanish clubs.
"Even diminished, he set up the (Valere) Germain chance".
Marseille came close to getting back into the game, as Kostas Mitroglu's header from Morgan Sanson's cross hit the post and rolled to safety.
Stewards outside the Groupama Stadium in Lyon were later called into action again as ultras for the French side clashed with celebrating Athletico Madrid fans. The misery was compounded by the loss of Marseille's talismanic defender and captain Dmitri Payet to injury after only half an hour played. The attacking midfielder was one of the stars for Les Bleus on home soil at Euro 2016.
Griezmann accepted that Atletico had been forced to work very hard by a Marseille side who started the game on the front foot.
Can Real follow in the footsteps of their city-rivals?
As of next season, the top four in the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the German Bundesliga are all guaranteed spots in the Champions League group stage. However, OM now occupy the Europa League spot heading into Saturday night's clash with Amiens. I know he'll always ask the best of me, the maximum, and I'll always be there to help him and to win matches.
- Marseille mené 1 à 0 à la pause — Europa League
- Audiologist Weighs In On 'Yanny Vs. Laurel' Debate
- What Will Happen to Net Neutrality After Senate Votes To Save Protections?
- The solid 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' is an adventure worth taking
- Bolton - US sanctions 'possible' on European firms over Iran
- IPL 2018: Mumbai Indians face Kings XI Punjab in virtual knockout
- OnePlus 6 Marvel Avengers Limited Edition announced
- Don't keep us in dark on rule changes, say Hamilton
- Senate votes to save net neutrality rules
- Top Russian, Iranian diplomats to discuss ways of salvaging Iran nuclear deal