The all-stock deal is expected to close by the end of 2018.
The open-source model was once anathema to Microsoft, the leading commercial software company.
The current CEO of Microsoft, Satya Nadella, has been actively involved in courting coders and initiating coding initiatives since taking the helm at the company in 2014. Microsoft didn't mention plans to integrate GitHub with LinkedIn, but the "learning" angle here makes me think that could figure in longer term plans.
However, Microsoft said on Monday GitHub will operate independently and developers will be able to deploy their code to any operating system, cloud and device.
However, there is hidden value in this deal that is critical to Microsoft's future: Visibility.
The story initially broke last week when discussions between the two parties reportedly became serious after years of on-and-off conversations.
The acquisition reflects Microsoft's "ongoing pivot to open-source software, seeking to further broaden its large and growing development community", said Richard Lane, an analyst at Moody's Investors Service. Open source stands for making software code available to everyone.
Microsoft also is looking at the GitHub Markeplace as a way to get its own tools and services in front of developers. Primary among them is the likelihood that competitors to Microsoft would move their code repositories off GitHub, diminishing its value as a community. While some are happy to see GitHub getting the backing of Microsoft, others are rather concerned, and there have been reports of a sudden shift of projects to GitHub alternative GitLab.
GitHub now has over 27 million software developers contributing to over 80 million repositories of code.
And many in the company were defending Microsoft's commitment to GitHub and its principles, even before the deal was announced.
- Tom Arnold Thinks Roseanne Wanted Her Show To Get Cancelled
- Sharapova turns on the style in France
- 'Fallout 76' Is Bethesda's Next Major Title, According to Teaser Trailer
- Ivanka Trump Dismisses Critics of Baby Pic Tweet as 'Trolls' Bullying Her
- What Analysts are hoping about Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)'s WWDC event?
- Fallout 76: what is it and when does it come out?
- South Korea want more talks with North Korea before summit
- Kim Kardashian Is Currently Our Nation’s Greatest Hope for Prison Reform
- Aston Villa lose out on promotion to Premier League
- Populists take control in Italy after fresh deal