Spade leaves behind a 13-year-old daughter, Frances Beatrix, who was reportedly at school at the time of her mother's death.
Kate Spade's sister Reta Saffo claimed in a new interview that the late fashion designer suffered a debilitating mental illness for the past three or four years and had been self-medicating with alcohol.
"The name Kate Spade will remain linked with MP Tin Pei Ling, whose photograph carrying a Kate Spade bag made quite a ripple during the elections in 2011".
U.S. media reports claim Spade and husband Andy had split in the months leading up to her death, while TMZ claim he had moved out of the family home.
"Sometimes you simply can not SAVE people from themselves", she also wrote in the email. Saffo said they would be watching news reports about his death.
She founded the Kate Spade Handbags brand in 1993 with Mr Andy Spade, who later became her husband, with the idea of creating the ideal handbag.
She also later chose to change her name to Kate Valentine, though her full legal name was Katherine Noel Frances Valentine Brosnahan.
"Even though I've never met her, she touched my life", said Kate Spade fan Karen Geraghty.
Spade's handbags were a must-have, and she ranked among the NY designers to cement the minimalist look.
In 2016, she re-emerged to the scene with her new fashion brand Frances Valentine.
"If you put a pulse into it and every fiber of your being, people are going to respond".
Kate Spade is best known for her eponymous line of handbags and accessories she developed in the 1990s with her two business partners. It's no surprise she didn't try and print that on a handbag.
Coach, now known as Tapestry, bought the Kate Spade brand past year for $2.4 billion.
Kate and Andy Spade had one daughter together. She was effervescent. "Hug your loved ones extra tight today".
Spade and her husband founded her line of handbags in 1993. They added that Saffo's words painted a picture of "someone who didn't know her at all".
Brosnahan, like many women who've spoken out about Spade since her death, credited her aunt for inspiring her sense of style.
Important note: If you or a loved one is feeling distressed, please remember help is available through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
- Giuliani says Kim Jong Un 'begged' for summit
- How Apple plans to simplify porting iOS apps to macOS
- The 6 Biggest New iPhone Features Apple Just Announced
- Trudeau says tariffs on steel and aluminum are 'insulting'
- Here are the highlights from Apple's 2018 Worldwide Developers' Conference
- New Research Shows Experimental Treatment Working For Advanced Cancer Cases
- Meeting with Kim Jong Un will go on as scheduled
- Screen Time and Digital Wellbeing: would you use those features?
- Israel has carried out air strikes on Hamas sites
- Mexico Details Its List of Retaliatory Tariffs Against U.S., Adds Bourbon