Highlighting the theme, "It Takes a Nation to Beat Plastic Pollution", the minister said that "with strong support from all parties, the initiative will succeed in raising public awareness in addressing the use and disposal of plastic bottles".
New Zealand-based businesses that signed the NZ Plastic Packaging Declaration are Foodstuffs, Countdown, New Zealand Post and Frucor Suntory.
Thirty percent of countries found sharp drops in plastic bag consumption in the first year after imposing restrictions, while 20 percent saw little or no change.
They urged individuals to reject plastic cutlery, pick-up any plastic they see while on a walk and create awareness on the dangers of plastics pollution among friends and family.
There is absolutely no doubt to say that we are on the cutting edge of global plastic calamity.
"We need action now". Events began Friday, with high-profile Indian politicians speaking out on the increasing damage plastics are doing to the environment and the country's beaches. "If you become warriors of "beat plastic pollution" with me, we can get rid of single-use plastic items in the country by 2022", said Vardhan said.
"Each year, while five trillion plastic bags are used and 17 million barrels of oil go into plastic production, 13 million tonnes of plastic leak into the ocean and 100,000 marine animals are killed by it".
Each World Environment Day is organised around a theme that focuses attention on a particularly pressing environmental concern.
The report specifically recommends that policy makers take actions to improve waste management, promote eco-friendly alternatives, educate consumers, enable voluntary reduction strategies and successfully implement bans or levies on the use and sale of single-use plastics.
The theme of this year's commemoration is "Beat Plastic Pollution" which is meant to be a wake-up call for individuals to take charge of their surroundings and realise the severity of using plastic materials in their daily lives.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his released message on World Environment Day said, "Greetings on World Environment Day". It noted the United States tosses out more than 33 million tons of plastic, of which less than 10 percent is recycled.
On World Environment Day, Guterres is encouraging everyone to also stop using plastic products which are designed just to be thrown away, such as plastic bottles.
The bank made the call in a statement signed by its Communication Officer, Climate Change and Green Growth Department, Mrs Sonia Borrini yesterday in Abuja.
- Steph Curry's three-pointers festival sinks LeBron James' Cavaliers
- Apple takes direct swipe at Facebook over privacy at WWDC
- Apple's software improvements could make AR as universal as iOS
- Modern Mobility: Top Apple iOS 12 features helpful for the enterprise
- Apple 'Measure' app in iOS 12 threatens many existing measuring apps
- Here are the highlights from Apple's 2018 Worldwide Developers' Conference
- Apple Changes App Store Guidelines To Allow Steam Link App
- California primary election, San Diego County races, when to expect results
- Meeting with Kim Jong Un will go on as scheduled
- Mexico Details Its List of Retaliatory Tariffs Against U.S., Adds Bourbon