The White House has recently assembled the pardoning paperwork for at least 30 people, with Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who has spent more than two decades behind bars for a first-time nonviolent drug offense, among those on the shortlist, some global media outlets reported.
The great-grandmother whose sentence was commuted by President Donald Trump after an Oval Office meeting with a reality-TV star has a message for Trump. As we now know, Kardashian's persistence paid off.
In a statement, the White House noted that Johnson was a great-grandmother who had served nearly 22 years for a first-time offense. Trump previously issued clemency to former sheriff Joe Arpaio, Scooter Libby, Navy sailor Kristian Saucier, boxing champion Jack Johnson, and right-wing pundit Dinesh D'Souza.
Attorney Brittany K. Barnett, another member of Johnson's legal team, said Johnson felt overwhelmed with emotion and like she's been "resurrected from the dead".
"I was very focused".
According to Johnson, she was an average law-abiding citizen when tragedy struck and she lost her job as a manager - that's when things went from bad to worse. "And he pulled through". "I mean, there's over 3,000 people in this same exact situation as Alice".
"We cried, maybe, on the phone for like three minutes straight, everyone was just crying". "Love you all", her post concluded.
I'm sure the president's view of our criminal justice system has changed, as did mine, since he was targeted by overzealous prosecutors who thrive on their abusive power and whose belief that they are doing God's work, blinds them from the personal, financial, and professional destruction of their targets.
"I'm so full of thankfulness and joy right now I can barely think straight". "At the end of the day, [Trump] heard me out". "I was always really hopeful".
- Curry sets NBA Finals record, Warriors rout Cavs in Game 2
- Steph Curry's three-pointers festival sinks LeBron James' Cavaliers
- Thiem in French Open quarters, to face Zverev
- Warriors forward Iguodala has 'good chance' to play Finals game three
- Trump congratulates John Cox for second place in California governor primary
- Trump tariffs: Mexico retaliates against USA products
- Apple 'Measure' app in iOS 12 threatens many existing measuring apps
- WED: FG urged to implement policies on production, use of plastics
- Kevin Durant will re-sign with Warriors
- Durant dominates as Warriors push Cavaliers to the brink