In his career, Durant had never made more than one shot from 30 feet out in a game over the 896 career games he'd played in his regular season and postseason combined coming into Wednesday, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. If Cleveland could by some miracle come back to win the series, it would be the first time in National Basketball Association history a team overcame a 3-0 deficit to win a series.
Golden State will secure the title if they win game four on Friday night, again in Cleveland.
"You know, we've got a lot of depth", Warriors coach Steve Kerr said.
James set an early tone barely two minutes into the contest with an wonderful dunk with an assist from the backboard.
As they've done throughout the playoffs, the Warriors surged in the third quarter, outscoring the Cavaliers 31-23 to take an 83-81 lead into the fourth quarter.
Late in the game, Durant called for the ball on numerous occasions, clearly looking to seal the win.
Game 1 of this series will be remembered by how Cleveland let it get away; the botched rebound by Smith to be forever played as one of those quintessential wish-you-had-it-back moments.
They had been victimized by Stephen Curry's Finals record nine three-pointers and went down in defeat by 122-103, falling 0-2 in the best-of-seven series.
Meanwhile, like in the two prior games, James threw everything, including the kitchen sink, in a 33-point, 10-rebound, 11-assist triple-double, but it just wasn't enough. He knows any team he's on can get to a Finals, or, if he's out West, will go until they meet the Warriors in the playoffs. "So I was definitely excited", said the 29-year-old Durant.
Despite the magnitude of his 3-pointer, Durant acted like he had been there before, bypassing a celebration for a stone face.
Despite the Warriors going up 3-0, Curry had a night to forget, scoring just 11 points on a horrid 3-of-16 shooting. I'm just really trying to come in and be the best team-mate, player I can be until this thing is over.
Love is known for being one of the more emotional players on the court, and his mood was a rollercoaster in Wednesday night's disappointing loss. He's such a high-IQ type of guy that he'll most likely find himself in the right place at the right time and help our rotation get back to what we're consistently used to.
- Warriors close on title as Kevin Durant heroics beat Cavaliers
- Apple announces Shortcuts, Suggestions for Siri at WWDC 2018
- How Apple plans to help you spend less time on your phone
- Trump tariffs: Mexico retaliates against USA products
- Warriors forward Iguodala has 'good chance' to play Finals game three
- Apple 'Measure' app in iOS 12 threatens many existing measuring apps
- Kate Spade's death mourned by fashion world
- Giuliani says Kim Jong Un 'begged' for summit
- Cavaliers let chances slip away _ again _ in NBA Finals
- How Apple plans to simplify porting iOS apps to macOS