Efforts to fight suicide in the United States are desperate for additional funding, suicide-prevention experts said, following this week's high profile deaths of celebrities Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, and new statistics showing a growing problem.
The back to back deaths of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain are part of a disturbing trend.
While suicide rates rose across age groups, the CDC said people ages 45-64 had the biggest rate increase. The increases were particularly stark in the intermountain West, including Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, North and South Dakota, Kansas, Minnesota and Oklahoma.
But that's not always the case.
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US and is one of just three leading causes that are on the rise.
But intervention and treatment is possible for all vulnerable individuals: The CDC published a 62-page "Technical Package" that details multiple strategies to reduce the risk of suicide.
The answer may be that half of those who died by suicide did not have a known mental health condition. Suicide deaths in Colorado saw a 34.1 increase during the years studied.
"I know that men, in general, they have a sense of, 'I need to be the best".
Suffering through relationship problems, like a breakup or the end of a marriage, or losing a job can be critical times to reach out.
Dr. Van Nickell says there are warning signs.
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or has had thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life, get help.
And they also try to help them realize there is someone who cares and that there are other options.
As suicide becomes more of a public health problem, there are a number of organizations that provide free support for people in need. Suicide is now the 10th most common cause of death in the U.S. It is one of just three leading causes, along with Alzheimer's disease and drug overdoses, that are on the rise. " ".Even if you think you don't want to get involved or don't want your friend to be mad at you or if you're the one suffering and don't want to be talked out of it or feel insecure about asking for help.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
- Trump on Talks with Trudeau: Relationship ‘Better Than It’s Ever Been’
- Kevin Durant: Only 'small details' left for next Warriors deal
- Hot-Shooting Curry Leads Warriors To NBA Title
- What you need to know as you head to the polls
- The Coach: Nadal must be aggressive to beat Thiem
- 4th time's the charm: Halep tops Stephens to win French Open
- "Didn't Canada Burn Down White House?" Donald Trump To Justin Trudeau
- David Davis won't resign over Irish border backstop, Downing Street insists
- Washington Capitals win Stanley Cup
- Galaxy Note 9 Revealed In New Renders