His deal with Kim may be superficial, but it seems sure to silence talk of an imminent nuclear war with North Korea.
He also says Trump was "defeated" by the North Korean leader when he failed to push him to make human rights commitments.
"The world will see a major change", the North Korean leader said.
Guterres believes the Trump-Kim summit is an important milestone in advancing peace and denuclearising the Korean Peninsula. In response to shouted questions from reporters after his one-on-one meeting with the dictator, Trump beamed that the two leaders were already off to an "excellent relationship".
The declaration added that the two countries "will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula" and an assurance that the "DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula".
To begin with, in agreeing to meet personally with Kim at all, Trump elevated Kim's status enormously.
Trump put his hand on the younger man's shoulder. During a private meeting, promises were apparently made.
Later, as they reconvened with top aides, Trump declared of the nuclear impasse: "Working together, we will get it taken care of".
"If a Democratic president had given up so much for so little, Republicans would be up in arms".
The historic agreement came after the two leaders held several meetings throughout the day. "Lacking specifics - granted - of security for the North Korean regime", he continued. "But the one thing I would object to violently is withdrawing our forces from South Korea", Graham said Tuesday on "CBS This Morning".
For more on what this means, we're hearing from UBC Professor Paul Evans, an expert in Asian affairs who has actually visited North Korea five times. But will the rest of the world fall into line behind Trump if he starts talking once more about unleashing fire and fury against this country of atomic weapons and nice beaches?
The video doesn't explicitly state what that alternative will be, but it does show a sequence of war and flames, reminiscent of the "fire and fury" Trump once promised to rain down upon Kim. "Really, very positive, I think better than anybody could have expected".
- Made-for-TV summit puts Trump the Showman in spotlight
- The best photos from Trump's historic summit with Kim Jong Un
- Fallout 76 PS4 Xbox One Release Date, Preorders with BETA LIVE!
- Business as usual in North Korea as public unaware of summit
- South Korea’s Moon: Reaching accord with North Korea could take years
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Release Date Set for December
- New Delhi wants North Korea-Pakistan nuclear axis addressed
- Korean official delivers Kim’s letter to Trump
- Democrats compete in Virginia's 10th Congressional District primary
- The 2026 World Cup will be played in North America