The Germans are bidding to become the first team to retain the World Cup title since Brazil in 1962.
Mexico had been enjoying the majority of the threat and created another when Gallardo produced a low cross that was hacked away by Germany.
Serbia beat Costa Rica 1-0 thanks to a brilliant Aleksandar Kolarov free-kick in Samara in the first game of the day. The photographs unleashed a storm of criticism from lawmakers across Germany's political spectrum and the country's football federation, all of whom argued that Erdogan does not sufficiently respect German values.
Germany boss Joachim Low agreed with Hummels, saying Germany "played badly", gave Mexico too much space, lost too many balls and rushed chances. Osorio was banned from last year's Gold Cup after shouting at the fourth official when Mexico wasn't awarded a penalty during the third-place game against Portugal at the Confederations Cup.
Die Mannschaft are the champions and performed well in qualifiers, but they enter their first match with a few question marks after some poor outings in the final friendlies before the tournament.
Germany pressed in the second half but struggled to find the target. Considering the number of times they got in behind the German defence, they should have been more clinical. And it's no more than they deserve.
"We have all the tools and we have to work them". In effect, Josh Kimmich was mostly high up the pitch and the gaps he left behind was exploited very well by the Mexicans.
Mexico were able to keep them at bay until Kimmich's ambitious overhead kick and Werner's instinctive close-range effort both flashed narrowly over in quick succession midway through the half. Guillermo Ochoa will be heavily tested.
Now playing in Los Angeles, Vela clearly went missing during his eight years with Arsenal - only 29 appearances for the Gunners in eight frustrating seasons - but Germany could not get a handle on him, either.
- Trump says his agreement with North Korea will be good for China
- US Open 2018: third round
- New Pieces of Evidence that Helped Put Paul Manafort Behind Bars
- DHS: Nearly 2,000 Children Taken Under Trump’s New Border Policy
- No sanctions relief before North Korea denuclearizes
- White House Hits China With New Tariffs, Ramping up Trade War
- China to impose 25% tariff on U.S. goods worth US$50b
- Ronaldo nets hat trick for Portugal in thrilling draw with Spain
- Trump jokingly compares himself to Kim
- France and Australia goalless at halftime