Confounding grim pre-tournament predictions, the host nation earned a second straight emphatic victory to start the group stage by beating Egypt 3-1 in Group A. Having already routed Saudi Arabia 5-0, Russian Federation are likely to be celebrating a spot in the round of 16 by this evening and few could have seen that happening so soon. Egypt lost its previous group stage match in Yekaterinburg allowing Uruguay to score in the closing minutes of the game on June 15.
Uruguay needs at least a draw to make it through to the next round, while Saudi Arabia is in need of a win to stay in the race.
Salah was unable to inspire his side to a win against the hosts.
Referee Enrique Caceres initially blew for a foul just outside the area but VAR intervened to award the spot-kick after the replays showed that Salah was pulled down inside the box by Zobnin. I always say behind a brilliant player there has to be a team, I am proud because there is a team.
Going into the World Cup there were fears that hosts Russian Federation would be one of, if not the, worst hosts of a tournament that we'd had as they entered the competition as the lowest ranked side at 70th in the world. Manager Hector Cuper, speaking at the pre-match press conference, said that Salah was indeed fit to play.
"Egypt has, I don't want to say the fastest, but I have to say, one of the fastest players in the world", transcription courtesy of the Liverpool Echo.
"Everybody remembers our games from the past but people forget when you play against the teams we played against, you need to be prepared very well". If he did not get injured in the Champions League final then he would have had three weeks' extra training with us as a group. Then he would have been able to train with the same intensity as the rest of the team. We are happy although we know that we have things to improve. I don't think majority expected, well certainly they didn't expect eight goals and two wins.
"He suffered an injury and we were all anxious".
Cavani is quoted as saying by Metro: "I took Salah's shirt as a gift for my children, who also see him as a star". We'll fight hard to get out of the group.
The 62-year-old Argentine has been in charge since 2015 and built a team around solid and reliable defence. "Any chance we might have we should use [in that match]".
- Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents 'breaks my heart'
- Happy Fathers Day Quotes, Messages, Facebook And WhatsApp Status 2018
- Delph: "Pep helped me just as he has other City players"
- President Trump: I won't sign the moderate immigration bill
- Trump Repeats False Claim on Dems, Family Separation
- Donald Trump urges Republicans to 'fix' family separation crisis
- Trump's border security boss should resign over family separation policy, Democrats say
- Serbia defeats Costa Rica 1-0 at the 2018 World Cup
- Video Assistant Referee system used for 1st time in WC history
- Brooks Koepka might lack wins, but not hardware