"No matter what we say now, it will not be right", Muller told reporters. "But we now are out and, of course, it's a case of absolute sadness and disappointment, but I think we have young players who are very talented and who have the opportunity to go forward". Had Mexico defeated Sweden in the other game then South Korea would have progressed, but Sweden won 3-0.
Mario Gomez of Germany reacts during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia group F match between Korea Republic and Germany at Kazan Arena on June 27, 2018 in Kazan, Russia. The team, littered with stars such as Toni Kroos and Mesut Ozil, began by losing to Mexico 1-0 in their first game and only followed that up with a late victor against Sweden in their second.
One of the pre-tournament favourites going into the World Cup, Germany were brought back down to reality in the first game as they were shocked 1-0 by Mexico thanks to a goal from Hirving Lozano. "We didn't deserve to move into the round of 16".
The curse of the World Cup winners continues.
"It is too early for me to answer that question", Low said when asked if he will take charge during the European championships in 2020. South Korea tacked on an empty netter moments later to seal Germany's fate.
Germany began the second period strongly, and Hyun-Woo Jo was called into action three minutes after the restart. The defending champions lost to South Korea 2-0 on Wednesday.
Kim Young-gwon opened the scoring for South Korea against Germany in added time.
FOX Sports Asia football editor Gabriel Tan relives an wonderful result and what victory over Germany means for Korea Republic.
Germany have failed to qualify from the group stages at a World Cup finals for the first time since 1938.
However, the VAR review showed the ball had deflected into Kim's path off of a German player - Toni Kroos - and the goal was given.
"I thought we could use that as a reverse strategy and that has really hit the nail on the head".
Sweden swept through second half goals from Augustinsson (50'), Granqvist 62nd penalty kick and an own goal by Alvarez in the 74th minute.
He added: "We believed in it until the very end, we tried to shoot, but we just couldn't get the ball in".
- Socialist candidate pulls a ‘seismic political upset’ against Democratic party boss
- Erdogan Wins, Stays in Power As Turkey's President
- Everything you need to know about the World Cup’s fair play tiebreaker
- Germany gets knocked out, Mexico advances
- Ocasio-Cortez hopes to shake up House
- Honda strike earns Japan draw with Senegal
- Mexico fans thank South Korea supporters after win against Germany
- Injured Romelu Lukaku a doubt for England clash
- Watch Joe Crowley's Awesome Concession to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Belgique: Grosse inquiétude autour de la cheville de Lukaku