Heung-Min Son sent the corner kick that found Hyun-Soo Jang, who mishandled the ball to Toni Kroos. "In the end, it was not enough".
The Taeguk Warriors, semi-finalists in 2002, brought the defending champions "down with them", Yonhap news agency said, adding that Germany "unceremoniously bowed out of the tournament".
"I don't know if this is the darkest moment for German football, but it is definitely a very black one", Kroos said.
Germany join 2010 champions Spain, who failed to progress past the group stage in Brazil in 2014, while 2006 winners, Italy, failed to get past the first round in South Africa.
That's when South Korea stepped up.
The lack of German defenders hurling themselves into tackles, like they did in Brazil four years ago, has been glaring in Russian Federation, as was the lack of composure when defending. "For us, this is a huge disappointment". It happened to other nations before. "We need a couple of hours to see things clearly".
According to The Times, the squad was in disarray from the start and one particular incident seems emblematic of the problems Germany were facing. It was not just Mesut Ozil today who was not displaying the performance he usually would. The goal was not only the first for Costa Rica at Russian Federation 2018, it was the first-ever by a Whitecaps player at a World Cup.
Guillermo Ochoa saved Emil Forsberg and Marcus Berg efforts in the first half, with Augustinsson volleying in the opener early in the second half.
Yet, it was Korea that opened the scoring in stoppage time, courtesy of Kim Young-gwon.
The Germans continued at the same pedestrian pace after halftime and Ozil had another poor display, with many of his passes uncompleted. "The team worked well, players were training really well. We were 2 minutes away from winning £2 million and we ended up losing £4 million", William Hill told Gambling Insider.
Sane will be part of Germany's plans in the future, and there are more bright prospects in the building from the German squad that won the European U-21 championship a year ago.
Meanwhile, goals from Ludwig Augustinsson and Andreas Granqvist, along with an unfortunate own goal from Edson Alvarez gave Sweden a resounding 0-3 victory, ensuring their qualification into the group stage as table toppers.
- Manuel Neuer's Touch Map Against South Korea Is Work Of Abstract Art…
- Mexico fans share tequila with South Korea ambassador after shock Germany exit
- Mexico fans thank South Korea supporters after win against Germany
- 28-year-old socialist upsets 10-term Congressman in NY Democratic primary
- England vs Belgium (2018 FIFA World Cup)
- Everything you need to know about the World Cup’s fair play tiebreaker
- Socialist candidate pulls a ‘seismic political upset’ against Democratic party boss
- How a Socialist Latinx Millennial Beat a Wall Street Favorite
- Watch Joe Crowley's Awesome Concession to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Jeremy Hunt rebuke for Airbus over threat to leave UK