44 - Luis Suarez is down with an apparent head injury and play is stopped but he appears OK.
Pepe headed the ball down directly to Uruguay's Nahitan Nández, who pushed forward and slid a pass over to Cavani at the edge of the penalty area.
Where to watch on TV Uruguay v/s Portugal match live? The winners will face France in the last-eight stage.
Defenders: Martin Caceres (Lazio), Sebastian Coates (Sporting), Jose Maria Gimenez (Atletico Madrid), Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid), Maximiliano Pereira (Porto), Gaston Silva (Independiente), Guillermo Varela (Penarol).
Speaking to ITV, Neville said: 'The two centre-backs played well against Cristiano Ronaldo tonight but everything that came into that box they had to clear. Their style may not be pretty but it is most certainly effective.
'They will have to do that against France.
Uruguay, world champions in 1930 and 1950, will play France, who beat Argentina 4-3 earlier in the day, on July 6 in Nizhny Novgorod.
After playing a flat 4-4-2 in the first two games, Uruguay were much better playing a 4-3-1-2 formation against Russian Federation. "In the second we were better, but we didn't make it", he explained. Playing probably the finest one-two you will ever see, with Suarez, the 31-year-old finished at the near post with aplomb.
The win may have come at a price, though, as Cavani limped off late on. Subs: Sanchez 5, Rodriguez 5, Stuani 5.
At Euro 2016, the Portuguese had balance and a strong defence and Ronaldo had his moments although he was not at his best.
It was Cavani who instead took the spotlight.
Suarez nearly made it 2-0 with a clever free-kick that was deliberately kept low to beat the wall before Patricio made a diving save to deny a goal.
Suarez might lack the same sharpness of old, but he has still scored twice in Russian Federation.
55' - GOAL! Uruguay 1-1 Portugal: Portugal finally breach Uruguay's defence!
Where is the FIFA World Cup 2018 Uruguay v/s Portugal match? Cavani restores Uruguay's lead with a lovely strike.
2' - Early attack from Portugal. What an opportunity for Portugal - and you would have put your house on the Man City midfielder scoring!
- Manuel Neuer's Touch Map Against South Korea Is Work Of Abstract Art…
- The German dressing-room divide might explain their World Cup exit
- Reiner warns that Trump court nominee will vote to strip away rights
- Belgique: Grosse inquiétude autour de la cheville de Lukaku
- Supreme Court's sales tax decision will benefit small, local businesses
- England vs Belgium (2018 FIFA World Cup)
- Supreme Court justice nominee coming July 9, Trump says
- Sales tax invasion: Retailers drafted as tax collecters
- Socialist candidate pulls a ‘seismic political upset’ against Democratic party boss
- Honda strike earns Japan draw with Senegal