Given their ages - Messi is 31 and Ronaldo 33 - this could be the last the world sees of the pair, who have monopolized the world player of the year award for the last 10 years, on the biggest stage of all.
The Portugal manager, Fernando Santos, said he did not want Cristiano Ronaldo to walk away from worldwide football after Portugal were knocked out of the World Cup by a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Uruguay.
And after Portugal equalized on Pepe's header in the 55th minute, it was Cavani again finishing a ideal Uruguay counter in the 62nd with a shot from just inside the penalty area that caught Portugal goalkeeper Rui Patricio slightly out of position and curled inside the far post.
Although the Portuguese have not lost a single major tournament match since suffering a shocking 4-0 humiliation to Germany at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, La Celeste Olimpica pride itself in having kept their goal line clean for the past seven months.
Edinson Cavani's double sent Uruguay into the last eight of the Fifa World Cup in Russian Federation. Record-breaking captain Cristiano Ronaldo starred with four goals including a hat-trick against Spain and the victor against Morocco.
"I believe that Ronaldo is one of the best strikers in the world", Tabarez said.
Ronaldo won Euro 2016 with Portugal and has proven himself to be his country's greatest ever player.
For anyone with hopes of winning this World Cup, Uruguay will be up there among the most feared.
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez was complimentary of Ronaldo and the rest of the Portugal squad, noting several times Uruguay will be facing the reigning champions of Europe.
"I think we played a good game and maybe we deserved more, but in football the ones that score the most goals win and they scored two, so congratulations". Muslera's long goal-kick was brought down by Bentancur 30 yards away, before the latter rolled a flawless pass towards the left where Cavani was unmarked.
- Mexico fans share tequila with South Korea ambassador after shock Germany exit
- Erdogan Wins, Stays in Power As Turkey's President
- Honda strike earns Japan draw with Senegal
- How a Socialist Latinx Millennial Beat a Wall Street Favorite
- Croatia advance with win against Iceland
- Supreme Court's sales tax decision will benefit small, local businesses
- Paul George opts out of contract, becomes unrestricted free agent
- Reiner warns that Trump court nominee will vote to strip away rights
- Manuel Neuer's Touch Map Against South Korea Is Work Of Abstract Art…
- Injured Romelu Lukaku a doubt for England clash