Colombia and Japan go on to face opponents from Group G - either England or Belgium, who play later Thursday.
Colombia, who needed to win after recovering from their opening 2-1 defeat to Japan by beating Poland 3-0, were not at their best, but Senegal failed to make their early dominance pay.
Mina then broke Senegalese hearts by heading home Quintero's corner 16 minutes from time. The result left Senegal eliminated because they received more yellow cards than Japan. If FIFA had not added the fair play tiebreaker for this World Cup, the two teams would have had to draw lots to determine which would advance.
After his display in their last match against Poland, Colombian hopes had again been pinned on the shoulders of Rodriguez, who had spearheaded their run to the last quarter-finals four years ago.
Fast forward 4 years, Colombia headed to Russian Federation in order to play their second consecutive world cup in years and this time out, they were not carrying the tag of underdogs.
Cisse was sanguine about Senegal recording a piece of unwanted history as they became the final African side to exit Russian Federation 2018. His team played some scintillating stuff as Poland were pulverised and their World Cup campaign turned around.
"This is one of the rules (fair play)".
"We must not throw the good work away now".
Davinson Sanchez came to Colombia's rescue several times before the break, although the Tottenham Hotspur defender's first major contribution initially saw him concede a penalty to Senegal on 18 minutes. Keeper David Ospina did not show any "complications" from pain in his right foot incurred in the demolition of Poland, the Colombian FA said in a statement late on Monday.
Colombia coach Jose Pekerman was also unable to call on the services of the injured James Rodriguez from the start.
But what will happen to them without their most influential player in the further rounds?
"We managed to defend successfully though, and they didn't create many goalscoring opportunities".
- National Basketball Association great LeBron James is heading to the Los Angeles Lakers
- DeMarcus Cousins joining Golden State Warriors
- ICE names new acting director amid immigration turmoil
- Heat index values likely to top 100 today
- Cristiano Ronaldo not thinking about retirement from global football
- Kawhi still wants to be a Laker after LeBron signing
- LeBron to join Lakers for $154 million over 4 years
- Best reactions to Spain's shocking loss
- LeBron James won't meet in person with Cavs when free agency starts
- LeBron James signs for LA Lakers in $154MILLION DEAL