"We're not the favourites, we're playing against the country that invented football", said 32-year-old Espanyol midfielder Sanchez. Barring one, Colombia has never reached the quarter-finals.
Tottenham Hotspur man Davison Sanchez comes up against club teammates Kane and Alli as he lines up alongside centre-back partner Yerry Mina, who has already scored twice in two matches for the Colombians. "But we have our own weapons and once the game starts the only thing that matters is on the pitch".
The legendary late manager's clumsy quote of: "We didn't underestimate them, they were a lot better than we thought", came after a 3-2 win after extra-time in the quarter-final against Cameroon during which England looked destined for the exit until being rescued by a Gary Lineker penalty seven minutes from time.
With two very different paths through the draw on offer and qualification in the bag, England coach Gareth Southgate rested players for the match against Belgium. But from the moment they tugged and grappled England players at the first corner, it was clear that Colombia only had one approach.
Colombia midfielder James Rodriguez will miss Tuesday's World Cup last-16 tie against England after failing to recover from a calf injury.
"We still have a day and a half until the game to see how he feels and we hope that he will be fit to play for the games that we have to play here", Pekerman said.
Panama were demolished by a clinical England side before Gareth Southgate chose to rest majority of the starters for the match against Belgium. "This has made us stronger, more confident and we believe more in ourselves".
Coach Gareth Southgate fielded a weakened team against Belgium in the final Group G fixture, losing out 1-0 in what was a drab affair.
Lingard stressed that Colombia would be unsafe opponents as England look to reach a first quarterfinal since 2006. With a little bit of luck they might even win it. England are a good team but we did not mind who it was we would face. But the Swedes could earn more respect by beating Switzerland and advancing to the quarter-finals for the first time since 1994, when they ultimately finished third. The last-16 loss to Iceland at the 2016 European Championship helped give Southgate the support he needed to accelerate a rebuild of the England team and focus on younger players.
- Details emerge in LeBron James' reported move to Los Angeles Lakers
- Suspect in Maryland newspaper to appear in court on 5 murder charges
- Syrian army gains in southwest, rebels begin peace talks
- National Basketball Association great LeBron James is heading to the Los Angeles Lakers
- Worry in the Uruguay camp over Cavani injury
- Kane and England's new generation impress Granqvist
- DeMarcus Cousins joining Golden State Warriors
- Neymar leads Brazil into seventh straight quarterfinal
- Colombia's Aguilar ruled out against Senegal due to injury
- Cristiano Ronaldo & Portugal Get Eliminated From The World Cup & Fans Are Shocked