The blockbuster move means the 4-time NBA Most Valuable Player, who has played in the past 8 NBA Finals, will now join one of the league's most iconic clubs, adding to the legacy of such legends as Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson.
So the Lakers' pursuit of Leonard may continue.
As proven last season in Cleveland, even at 33 years old, he has the ability to elevate a subpar club to the NBA Finals.
It's no secret that LeBron James sells tickets like no other, but less than 24 hours after he announced his anticipated 2018 free agency decision, the Los Angeles Lakers market is already feeling the ripple effect of his presence.
While Leonard's desire to leave Texas does not come as a surprise, it asks hard questions of both franchises.
If he wants to, he'll have to take a a short contract and not huge money to do so.
What will L.A. offer?Though the Spurs are still hoping to fix their relationship with Leonard, the disgruntled forward looked determined to leave the team, forcing San Antonio to entertain offers from other National Basketball Association teams. Of course, the pair's many postseason runs have included numerous showdowns as opponents of James when he played for the Cavs and Heat, including the unforgettable moment in the 2014 Eastern Conference finals when Stephenson blew in a certain someone's ear.
As far as the answer to the latter question goes, the situation is slightly more complicated.
That said, Leonard isn't the Lakers' only possible target.
The hometown hero began his career with the Cavaliers, signing for the side fresh from high school as the number one pick in the 2003 draft.
Nevertheless, the Lakers aren't sitting on their hands after luring LeBron to Hollywood.
A repeat of Paul George's scenario? Randle will immediately become an unrestricted free agent.
The Lakers have failed to reach the playoffs for the past five seasons.
Instead, James signed a four-year deal with the Lakers (with a reported opt-in for the fourth year).
- Kawhi still wants to be a Laker after LeBron signing
- Worry in the Uruguay camp over Cavani injury
- Best reactions to Spain's shocking loss
- Colombia's Aguilar ruled out against Senegal due to injury
- LeBron James won't meet in person with Cavs when free agency starts
- Roger Federer ends 20-year Nike relationship for Uniqlo
- Cristiano Ronaldo not thinking about retirement from global football
- Belgium avoid another World Cup shock with thrilling comeback win over Japan
- LeBron to join Lakers for $154 million over 4 years
- Japan's World Cup star Keisuke Honda and other footballers as cars