The first: that Germany always reach the latter stages of worldwide tournaments.
Tuesday's last-16 match against the South Americans went all the way in Moscow, but the Three Lions managed to set up a mouth-watering quarter-final against Sweden as they overcame their Achilles heel.
After 3 penalty shootouts, an injury-time victor, Cavani's glorious brace and a dismal performance by David de Gea, the FIFA World Cup 2018 is set for some mouth-watering clashes in the quarter-finals.
The Swedes secured their ticket through to the last eight after a hard-fought 1-0 win over Switzerland in St Petersburg.
"There were so many interruptions in the game, far too many interruptions", Colombia coach Jose Pekerman said.
But that will all go out the window on Thursday, and we should be in for an entertaining match with the tournament's meanest defence up against France's lively attack. Common thinking at the time was it was futile practicing penalties, given the inability to recreate the pressure of the shootout on the training field.
Neither the hosts, whose previous best was a single semi-final appearance as the Soviet Union in 1966 or Croatia, who also reached the last four in 1998, were expected to challenge but have significantly outshone many supposed superiors.
"I think given the penalties have broken the curse, we're going all the way - 2-1 in the final against France".
England will face Sweden in the quarter-final stage of the World Cup on July 7th, but don't be surprised if you find yourself losing a building battle to "hkane93" before that!
In the 1990s they had one, Carlos Valderrama, now Colombia have six. This is a true leader, this is what the England team needed.
Their first task is a quarter-final against Sweden on Saturday afternoon. And, for all the progress they have made under Southgate, their struggle to create chances could yet be the thing that prevents them from winning this World Cup.
As the ball hit the back of the net, the players rushed to Jordan Pickford who had saved Bacca's penalty and pulled off a save of the tournament contender during the game.
- Another giant falls as Russian Federation eliminate Spain
- Mexico's AMLO Calls Trump 'Erratic and Arrogant'
- Kawhi still wants to be a Laker after LeBron signing
- Colombia's Aguilar ruled out against Senegal due to injury
- Dwight Howard Wants To Come Back To The Lakers & Play Alongside LeBron
- Some Michigan state parks are fireworks free this Fourth of July
- DeMarcus Cousins joining Golden State Warriors
- Best reactions to Spain's shocking loss
- Kane and England's new generation impress Granqvist
- Story of the match: England end shootout hoodoo with win over Colombia